Merkur futur

A

Aaron1983

looking for some info on the merkur futur razor. I have two Merkur 34c razors which are unbelievable... and planning to buy the futur in gold.
I have heard a lot of good things about this razor and a couple of bad reviews.

Id like to know your thoughts on this.

It's my favorite razor. Nothing came even close in terms of effectiveness, on my face. It can be heavy, and small ones might give you faster shaves. But if you're not in a hurry with your shaves, it's an instrument that will serve you very well.
Many of those bad reviews are seeing problems that do not exist, like being in danger of cutting yourself when adjusting it, when changing blades, or that it's too bulky for under the nose. I don't encounter any of those problems with it. Try it out, as it's a different kind of beast.

Great razor that will hold it's value if you decide it's not for you. The chrome/gold finish makes it slippery when wet/soapy, consider the satin version.
Baby shave at #1, delaminates your face at #4. Utterly versatile, you'll forget about Gillette adjustables.

Great razor that will hold it's value if you decide it's not for you. The chrome/gold finish makes it slippery when wet/soapy, consider the satin version.
Baby shave at #1, delaminates your face at #4. Utterly versatile, you'll forget about Gillette adjustables.
I have a merkur 34c in gold and it defo is very slippery and "slick with any cream used. Love it !
I think it may be time to place that order for the gold futur.

Just don't drop this doodlebug over a ceramic sink or bathroom floor tiles. It's very smoothly finished, slippy when wet and I've never encountered a heavier razor personally. If you think of your 34s as Kubelwagens this is your genuine Panzer Tiger !

JohnnyO. o/

I got one a while back and didn't really get on with it as I found it a little too bulky. But reading your posts has inspired me to have another go with it, especially as I've had some great shaves from a 1965 Gillette Slim adjustable that I recently bought.

A great razor in many respects and never really had to go above two to achieve a good close shave, but........it is oversized, awkward and cumbersome to use. A precision shave is nigh on impossible, finding it difficult to know where the actual blade is cutting. If you don't mind odd length sideboards of different widths and a half trimmed area under the nose, then it may just be the razor for you. Oh, and the shiny chromed version doesn't glide with the most convincing of ease and quite prone to sticking.

It's not for me, but I keep giving it the odd whirl.

I really like mine. Usually use it at 3 for a WTG pass and 1.5 ish for an ATG pass. I generally use my EJ DE89 if I need a quicker shave but if I have the time then I prefer the Futur.

The head is a bit more bulky than other razors but that is only really an issue for shaving under the nose. If you can shave upwards in that area to get the last few hairs then it shouldn't be a problem.

Great razor.
Surprisingly, to me at least, the design goes back the 80's and the one I have is marked "Made in W. Germany"

2md5imh.jpg

16704rs.jpg

I really like mine. Usually use it at 3 for a WTG pass and 1.5 ish for an ATG pass. I generally use my EJ DE89 if I need a quicker shave but if I have the time then I prefer the Futur.

The head is a bit more bulky than other razors but that is only really an issue for shaving under the nose. If you can shave upwards in that area to get the last few hairs then it shouldn't be a problem.

The head is bulky, but as the blade cover actually covers the side of the blade, then it's pretty easy to use, the downside is of course that it's difficult to see what the head is doing, but you get used to that.

Back
Top Bottom