Merkur Futur

When I shave with my Merkur Futur, I notice a difference in blade exposure from one side of the razor head to the other....
This results in one side of the head giving a shave which takes hardly any whiskers off...whilst when flipping the head round, the other side is quite aggressive....
Looking at it, it strikes me that the pintles/Pins on the top plate(don't know the correct name for them)that hold the razor blade in position allow too much sideways movement with the holes in the blade..allowing the blade to be more exposed at one side than the other....
It can't just be me being picky surely.....

I could equalise the blade...but that means taking my specs into the steamy bathroom..I don't have this problem with my Muhles'..the pins seem slightly thicker, making for a snugger fit with the holes in the blade..

Anyone else have this problem?.......Its very annoying.

I have read about the same thing happening with the Gillette adjustable. Often the result of dropping it they say.
I have only seen it on a gold milord that I have. Non adjustable and I haven't been able to change it.

It doesn't look defective or damaged in any way.....and Its certainly never been dropped or knocked....AT ALL......I just never noticed the blade difference until last week...when it seemed very obvious...........Very strange.

GOLDCREST said:
When I shave with my Merkur Futur, I notice a difference in blade exposure from one side of the razor head to the other....
Anyone else have this problem?.......Its very annoying.
Futurs are notorious for this. Although some are perfectly okay, others are not, and the factory disclaims it as a matter of acceptable manufacturing "tolerance". Mine also has a noticeably wider gap on the one side but even on the lowest setting the less aggressive side is anything but timid.

Yep, there are a fair few like this about and its a complete pain in the arse.

Have slipped slivers of metal down the sides to make sure it sits straight. But since the problem has occurred i rarely use it.

If anybody is looking to purchase a new Futur, i would recommend contacting the supplier and asking them to check blade alignment before shipping.

I think I might have solved my problem....I've been experimenting, measuring and trying various things this afternoon.......If I put the blade on the detachable top cap ..after the blade locates on the pins there is latitude for it to move about in a side ways fashion..leading to more blade showing at one side of the razor than the other....
But if I put the blade directly on top of the razor main body..( the bit with the springs on )..the blade seems to stay put and give an equal blade exposure at both sides of the razor.........That sounds like too easy a fix....

I'll find out with the morning shave wether this is the answer to my problem......Will let you know.

Dipesh said:
I always put it on the main part of the razor. Isn't that the way your meant to do it?

I seemed to think that I'd read somewhere, that you put the blade on the cap, then snapped the razor on whilst the cap\blade was resting in the palm of your hand....It would appear that this is wrong.... where ever I got the information from....Perhaps its a carry across from my three piece razors.....I'm not at my best on a morning 'til I've had a strong cup of tea,followed by an even stronger cup of coffee....Get the old brain cells functioning properly....

Anyway.....For this morning's shave,I tried placing the blade on to the razor main body (on top of the springs)..THEN snapping the cap in place.....

RESULT........Nice even blade exposure...no noticeable difference between the sides....perfect shave.......good, uniform, audible feedback from both edges of the blade...

Thank Heavens for that..problem solved ....I can't do with things that don't work properly....Sorry to have bothered you guys.

Don't be sorry, we are here to help!!

I'm glad your enjoying the Futur. I can't put mine down either. The noise of it cutting the hair is quite addictive!

Back
Top Bottom