Merkur Futur on 6 whats the fuss???

I have come to a point where I wanted a more aggessive razor had a look round and the general opinon is the Merkur Futur.
So I just happend to drive past the Gentlemans shop in Hungerford on my way to do my weekly shop must have taken a wrong turn because I live in Swindon :p
anyway I picked one up and a bottle of proraso aftershave. Got home and snapped a blade in For my first ever shave with it I cranked it up to 6 and off I went, it felt just like a shavette so I do not know what all the fuss is about with it on the max setting. I will probably be using this setting most shaves although I would have to go 1 for the tricky spots at the mo untill I get used to the weight of it.
So my view of this razor is if you use a straight setting 6 on this razor will make you feel at home.
If you're chopping your face off with this razor get a vintage flare tip rocket or super speed and us it untill you learn to shave properly :lol: :lol:

I like this Razor it's a Big Boys Toy :shave :D

I have cranked up the scale and find 3.75 to be about right for me but we are all different. Using it on 4 was fine but after a few days on the trot it gives me irritation so I prefer to keep it a bit below.

You can crank it up even more you know.

Just push the head in and unscrew past the notch that stops you going past 6.

I found this out the hard way. Sometimes my kids play shave with bladeless razors, and one of the curious little beggers cranked my Futur up to eleven. I only noticed this when I was shaving with it and it felt a bit rough.

3 is aggressive enough for me.

A few weeks now with the Futur, I dialled it back from 2 to 1 and found I could move more swiftly, buff the trouble areas with ease and with a few passes got to the same result but less irritation. However I was going too fast on the neck and nicked twice. But I think I might stay at 1 for a while and slow it down a tad. Every DE shave is a feedback loop on how to do it better next time.

I got jumped on and scolded by a DE shaving expert on a different forum when I suggested that another member might like to try setting his Fatboy to 9. Apparently such a thing shouldn't be attempted: strange that it works for me. Anyway, given that everything I hear suggests that the Futur starts where the Gillettes leave off, it would be irresponsible for anyone to recommend a setting over 0.5, surely?

Oh, and given the choice between that overweight Teutonic adjustable buttplug of a razor and my wimpy little Rocket, I think I'll stick with the latter, thanks. :twisted: Or a cut throat.

Big.Dave said:
Got home and snapped a blade in For my first ever shave with it I cranked it up to 6 and off I went, it felt just like a shavette so I do not know what all the fuss is about with it on the max setting.

LOL !!!

I think the fuss is that there isn't any other DE that's has as large a blade gap as a Futur. As a consequence, ( not solely ) it is the closest shaving of any DE currently available.

Of course the razor is one half of the equation. The other half being the blade.

What blade were you using ?
---------------------------------
Zen is... but Zen again... Zen isn't !

Andsomebodyspoke said:
Big.Dave said:
Got home and snapped a blade in For my first ever shave with it I cranked it up to 6 and off I went, it felt just like a shavette so I do not know what all the fuss is about with it on the max setting.

LOL !!!

I think the fuss is that there isn't any other DE that's has as large a blade gap as a Futur. As a consequence, ( not solely ) it is the closest shaving of any DE currently available.

Of course the razor is one half of the equation. The other half being the blade.

What blade were you using ?
---------------------------------
Zen is... but Zen again... Zen isn't !

To be honest the blade gap was what put me off buying it. But only in the pursuit of a closer shave I took the plunge I had been using a shavette so no safety but my own hand. I think if you are good with a straight and feel that although comfortable your vintage DE feels a bit mild the futur is for you. if you are a newbie the futur will be a steep learning curve. I have been getting BBs with 3 passes and not needing to shave for a couple of days.

The blades I use are personna red pack, super max, tesco own brand and treet black beautys. I'm still forming my own views on good blade bad blade.

Big.Dave said:
The blades I use are personna red pack, super max, tesco own brand and treet black beautys. I'm still forming my own views on good blade bad blade.

Hey Dave, for what it's worth, the above blades are pretty mild in terms of sharpness.
A sharper blade such as a Feather or Iridium will make the Futur a more aggressive shaving machine.
IMO there would be very few people that would use a Futur with a Feather blade on setting 6! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-------------------
Zen is, is it not ?

Andsomebodyspoke said:
Big.Dave said:

Hey Dave, for what it's worth, the above blades are pretty mild in terms of sharpness.
A sharper blade such as a Feather or Iridium will make the Futur a more aggressive shaving machine.
IMO there would be very few people that would use a Futur with a Feather blade on setting 6! :twisted: :twisted: :twisted:
-------------------
Zen is, is it not ?

Sharp Feather blades in a Futur set on 6 Good God man what are you thinking :p :lol: :lol:
If you posted that on another site you would be taken round the back of the forum for a Gentlemenly kicking!!

I might just give it a go though when I get round to aquireing some feathers.

Big.Dave said:
Sharp Feather blades in a Futur set on 6 Good God man what are you thinking :p :lol: :lol:
If you posted that on another site you would be taken round the back of the forum for a Gentlemenly kicking!!

I might just give it a go though when I get round to aquireing some feathers.

LOL !!!!
No more like a Shavette ! :lol:
-----------------------------
Zen again Zen ain't.

Back
Top Bottom