Merkur choice: 37c or Futur

Hi. i used to DE razor 10 years. i started to cheapest razor and used to long time(poor quality önder-yuma etc). its shave very close but much irritation and burn.
This year I tried the following wilkinson classic DE, schick krona and a few gillettes( ball end,fat hand tech,flare SS,long adjustable).these are very good but not very close shave. .my lip ends,under the chin and neck hairs low angle .these areas not close shave and irritation occurred.I've tried many techniques(gillette slide,j hooking, blade buffing) but finish same. i want a new DE razor
i want razor features :not irritation,closest,suitable for daily use,easy use

I was undecided between the merkur futur and 37C slant.I'll buy one. Which one should I buy? why? What are the good and bad aspects of these two razor?

Hope you can understand my cracky english

best regards

Personally..nothing comes close having very coarse hair n sensitive skin as a 37c DE razor..just saw a few gents wanting to sell their monster Futur's or trade em for a Slant.. :shock:

B

I have both both and I much prefer the Futur. I don't seem to get on just yet with the slant but will persevere.

Both make the most incredible sound as they scythe though the stubble. A unique feature of Merkurs in my experience.

The comment about the blades is spot n though. I have gone back to Gillete 7 O'clock yellows after dallying with others and the shave is a much better experience as a result.

Or you could try a SE razor, like Everready, GEM micromatic, GEM G-bar. These razors are plenty and cheap on ebay. Blades are fewer in choices, but still at relatively good prices on the net.

I was amazed how well the Micromatic suited me when I got it.

/Max

In years gone by I gave away my Futur to a charity shop eventually ; just couldn't get used to how clumsy & heavy it was when I tried to shave any "fiddly" bits like under the nose. The slant on the other hand I think is a very good razor. And I do have to agree with the last suggestion of considering going down the Single Edge route.

Good luck with what you finally settle on.

JohnnyO. \ :geek:

Once every four or five shaves, if I notice I missed a little awkward bit I tidy up with a shavette. You can even get individual whiskers with the end of the blade. You can pick them up for under 5UKP delivered. Snap & load a used blade from your DE until you know what they're like.

Blades said:
Personally..nothing comes close having very coarse hair n sensitive skin as a 37c DE razor..just saw a few gents wanting to sell their monster Futur's or trade em for a Slant.. :shock:

B

YMMV. When talking about razors etc. Why talk about absolutes. I like my Futur. I tried slant and it didn't work for me. I thought I didn't like Shark, turned out to be a bad blade. I'm happy with 7OC, Red personnas, Durasharp, Derby etc. Finding out that even the soap + blade + razor combo makes a difference.

There's just too many variables at play to make a definite recommendation. So buy/sell via BST to reduce the damage.

/m

mrkiii said:
Blades said:

B

YMMV. When talking about razors etc. Why talk about absolutes. I like my Futur. I tried slant and it didn't work for me. I thought I didn't like Shark, turned out to be a bad blade. I'm happy with 7OC, Red personnas, Durasharp, Derby etc. Finding out that even the soap + blade + razor combo makes a difference.

There's just too many variables at play to make a definite recommendation. So buy/sell via BST to reduce the damage.

/m

I agree with mrkii, what works for one, might not work for another, the Futur hates me, never managed a decent shave with one, I've had quite a lot of new ones De87, 33G, 34C, Futur, Progress..
My personal preference stays with vintage, but that doesn't mean it will work for you.

Factor in blades, and you've got 1001 combinations to try, which will all give different results.

Max

The only reasonable answer is get both :hungrig

Once you will have try one you will start wondering how the other would feel anyway so resistance is futile.

I have both of those razors in my rotation :

-The 39C with a Feather provides very smooth shave once your technique and your prep is mature.Feels like using a light saber.I am reluctant to use any other blade with it now.

-I only use scarcely the Futur now because I like the red tip very much. The red tip is very permissive regarding the blade choice. The Futur is an adjustable razor that can be extremely aggressive which is a good thing if you feel you're lacking firepower in order to reach a shave as close I you want it to be. I love its design, its weight and the sound it makes as whiskers are cut.
It works nice for me at 4 with a shark blade or at slghtlu less than 1 with a Feather or slightly more than 1 with an Iridium super. It is an aggressive razor so beware as a close shave might put a stain on your skin especially on a daily shave basis.

cyril said:
The only reasonable answer is get both :hungrig

Once you will have try one you will start wondering how the other would feel anyway so resistance is futile.

I agree. I make the first pass with the Futur for beard reduction and then use the Slantblade for the final BBS finish.

I have had all three, the futur the slant and gem occm.

And they're all good razors, but my favorite is the slant bar. But if im honest there's little in all of them, the futur is weighty if that matters.

I switched back to a de because the blades can be had much cheaper than the se if you look around.

for me the slant...i have tried the futur with 3 different one...i keep dropping back to the slant for ease

so for me a no brainer

Back
Top Bottom