Merkur 45030 Bakelite Double Edge Razor

Dax

Has anyone tried one of these Bakelite (like) razors? Merkur 45030 Bakelite Double Edge Razor.
Are they any good?
They look the part for the vintage wekend away, but do tghey get the job done?

They do, people are happy with them. Ideal for travel.

They're on the light side, though.

Can't remember the exact weight, if you do a search you'll find the appropriate discussion thread. It was discussed quite a bit when they became available last year.

It weighs 15g, I got one because i liked the look of it. Not used it yet, but it sits in a bakelite Merkur case in my collection......:icon_rolleyes::icon_rolleyes:

I have a couple of them. They are lightweight, but they also have quite the blade gap, so, they can also bite the unwary.

A Pedantic Note:
  • While these are made from a 'thermoset plastic', I feel that Bakelite® is much more broadly & loosely defined these days, than what I would normally call Bakelite®.

A Pedantic Note:
  • While these are made from a 'thermoset plastic', I feel that Bakelite® is much more broadly & loosely defined these days, than what I would normally call Bakelite®.
[/size][/font]
[/quote]

I agree, I have a few 40's Bakelite cases an the difference is obvious when you put the razor next to them, but a good copy though........well in parts.

Think I might give one a try then, might be an easier option than hunting down an original bakelite razor. And I doubt I'd be as bothered about it getting knocked about.

Dax said:
Think I might give one a try then, might be an easier option than hunting down an original bakelite razor. And I doubt I'd be as bothered about it getting knocked about.

With respect, I think getting an old one might be easier and cheaper.

But then I just like old 'uns. All my razors (and brushes for that matter) say "Made In England."

I have a Merkur Bakelite. As it has been said already they are very light. They come in a great box which has room for spare blades so it's ideal for a travel razor.

They deliver a good shave. I would say "MIND THE GAP" as they are more aggressive than say a Superspeed and a Tech Ball End. I like mine but I know to be careful with it from experience.

Back
Top Bottom