Merkur 42. (1904)

Today I have had the most enjoyable shave I've had in ages. My wife kindly purchased a Merkur 42. (1904) for Christmas from my two little sons.

With tingles of excitement, mingled with slight fear I loaded a Feather blade into it. Then lathered up with a Palmolive shave stick. I loved the weight of it, being used to a Wilkinson Classic and a Gillette "Tech", it felt substantial. I liked how I didn't have to apply much pressure and it gave a really close shave on the first pass. Then a splash of Tabac to finish. Heaven. I know Tabac is the "Marmite" of the shaving world but it's what my Dad used to use, I love it! Also I didn't cut myself once!

A razor I will always cherish, especially as it was from my boys! Not the most expensive razor around but the best in my book! Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to you all!

Attachments

• Presized..jpg
    Presized..jpg
    39.3 KB · Views: 45
Keep being tempted with one of these razors! Maybe ask other half for one for birthday. I quite like the men u brush for abit of a change,fairly good with cream rather than soap I find.

Thanks for your replies guys. I agree, the Men-u brush performs much better with a cream. Since I've been using it, every shave has been a joy! I've tried Feathers, Merkur Supers and some Wilkinson blades and it seems fine with all. Yes the Feathers are blo*dy sharp but you do seem to get a lot less shaves with them before they turn into Sweeney Todd! Longevity wise the Merkur's seem to have the edge (excuse the pun!)

Warm regards

I got a Merkur 42 for my birthday two days ago. Its a massive improvement on the boots DE and the wilkinson's sword classic I had been using. I can't understand why they're so cheap compared to other Merkur razors. Tooka few mins on the first shave to figure out the angle and get used to the extra weight but I find it to be a much more comfortable shave then my previous razors and once you get the hang of the weight and smaller handle (which didn't take long) I have found it to be very easy razor to use for a great result.

I also like the Tabac stuff, got an Aftershave splash, deoderant and shaving soap which has knocked my TOBS creams back into the cupboard for now!

This razor provides me with one of the mildest shaves i have ever had,on a par with a ej89, maybe its just my stubble :icon_sad:.

It looks really nice though so i will keep it.

mattyb240 said:
I keep looking at one of these or wondering if I should get a gillette tech as I'm after something mild?

Yes good call, i have a ally tech and its very similar maybe a tad better than the tech but there's only a gnats nudger in it.

Back
Top Bottom