Merkur 39c Slant

I best let you guys know if your toying like i was about getting your hands on a slant to try all i can say is they give you a nice smooth irritation free shave, i reckon if like me i shaved with a 34c hd for over a year with no nicks or cuts just the odd weeper due to me sqeezing just that one more extra shave out of a blade i was a bit apprehensive about buying one, fear not if you have mastered your hd and it doesn't nick you'll have no problems at all with this slant,and end up with a superior shave.

Loaded with an Asta platinum you wont be disappointed.

Hope this helps the Undecided

I got the 37C from Paul as well few weeks back but as I do not have very coarse beard and kind of sensitive skin, I've put off shaving with it so far.
I was thinking (for myself) that a min. 72 hrs stubble would be safe to shave with the Slant, though I know well this is by no means a rule or recommendation by anyone.

I may give it a try tomorrow then... :shave

Nice thought Press, I was one who really wasn't sure about trying a slant, but when I got one it became my daily razor for years. I'd have welcomed someone telling me what you just posted much earlier in my life. As you say, they are nice.

JohnnyO. :geek:

press said:
I best let you guys know if your toying like i was about getting your hands on a slant to try all i can say is they give you a nice smooth irritation free shave,

What I think you meant to write was "they give me a nice smooth irritation free shave".

I have no issues with my 39C, it's one of my favorites, but I recently lent it to a fellow TSR member for him to try, and it didn't work for him at all.

Horses for courses and all that.

Ian

The 39C can be a scary looking beast.
But your right, it shaves very well indeed , but you cant be as flippant with it as a 34c. You definitely need to pay attention.

Love mine.

IanM said:
Horses for courses and all that.
Ian
Quite so.
I had one of these for a while and found that it did not suit my style of shaving.
By that I mean that the Slant does not lend it self to Gillette slides, J - hooking or any other creative evolutions - it can only be used in a straight line.
However, when so used nothing impedes it's progress - it's "Antennae hoch - Panzer marsch" and resistance is futile! :shock:

I had one for a while. It was fun, but I let it go.

I prefer my HD.

Here's why: The Slant (by its very design) has an uneven blade gap and angle. This makes it tricky to use. It seems ok on flat bits of skin but very tricky to master under nose, jawline and chin. Its asymmetry makes it behave differently on one side of the face to the other. Hard to explain. Maybe it's how I shave!

I didn't find it overly aggressive, just found it harder to get BBS everywhere. I'm sure with practice my technique would improve but why bother - my HD gives me superlative shaves with ease.

John

I noticed a few people used a slant in the SOTD today (18 Aug). I agree with the above, certain areas aren't as easy to get BBS to start with. I have so far noticed that you can get a DFS with 2 passes. I still need more experience with mine.

i had the 37C but sold it, we didn't get along :roll:

i've read the science behind the theory of these things but i think it's bollocks :lol:

hando said:
i had the 37C but sold it, we didn't get along :roll:

i've read the science behind the theory of these things but i think it's bollocks :lol:

I agree, the odd thing about the slant is that the curve of the blade vary's along it's complete length so if the theory is correct the slant is effective over less than half the width of the razor.

Back
Top Bottom