Merkur 37C Slant Review

Appearance

The standard Merkur HD 3" handle accompanied by a closed comb, slanted face thus exposing more blade at an angle. The purpose is to ape the guillotine cutting motion and slice the beard not to mow it.

Blade Loading

No problems at all, if you can load a 34C then you will be safe with this one.

Doing The Do

Whenever you visit a shaving site the received widom is that the members of the Slant range are the most lethal razors in town. Nonsense, my personal opinion is that this is very mild and it certainly lessens the time in front of the workday mirror. It moves and cuts effectively and speedily. No nicks, cuts or attempts at decapitation to report! I do usually use OC razors so that maybe a factor in my opinion. Is it as close a shave as my Muhle R41? No, but that is my benchmark razor and it is very near to it.

Blade Selection

I have only used it with Astra SP and Shark SS; the Astra is good but the Shark is infinitely superior. Whether that is purely the blade or the 37C/blade mix is open to experiment, which is something we all do and relish everyday.

Would I Recommend It?

Yes I would. If you are used to either OC or CC razors or if you simply want to stretch your technique you will like this. I find it very smooth and face friendly. It has the Merkur qualities of austere German efficiency, it is built in the traditional robust style and it will prove to be a regular feature in any shaving rotation.

Enjoy!

Re: Merkur 37C Slant

Hi Blyth

Thanks for the review. I currently use only an HD but have thought about getting a slant. Do you believe I would see a difference in shave, handling etc compared to my HD? I normally use Feathers.

Many thanks

Rousey

Hi Rousey,

The only thing which is different (to me!) is the presentation of the edge to the skin. It gives a close shave, yes, but so does a 34C; I find it a lot milder than the 34C and I tend to use Astra SP or Shark SS with it. I like a Merkur blade with most things also.

The Slant configuration, however, may be completely different with the Barberpole handle but I think that it's an expense I can reasonably do without. My Lord (L5?) is providing me with absolutely magnificent results at the moment; it was about a fiver. That's the beauty of this addiction; we are all different and the permutations are, ergo, almost limitless.

I have to confess that I have yet to use a Feather (oh, that sounds decidedly dodgy but you all know what I mean...) having been deterred with stories of near-death experiences. I will try one with a new Feather Portable razor over the week-end though!

Hope this helps...

;)

Thanks David. I will get myself a slant in the coming weeks.

Don't be afraid of the Feather. When I first used a Feather it was a reverlation (I like to refer to it as my Kaiser Chief moment e.g Oh my god I can't believe it"...)

I'll get my coat...

The Feather was last brand of 8 in a sampler pack and I had gone from absoult rubbish - Dorco's through to fantastic - Gillette swedes and yellow 7 O'Clocks. But the Feather is way beyound fantastic. So much so I have not tried another blade since. Of course this just my opinion.

Cheers, Rousey

I don't find the slant to be a mild shaver. Not over aggressive, but not Tech mild either. Feather blades are excellent in the slant, but so are Derbys and Swedes. I'm not familiar with some of the other blades as I stopped experimenting after discovering Swedes.

Don't fear the slant, despite all the gore they have reported to cause, it is a quite nice razor. I'm convinced that the fearsome reputation stems from its looks and newer shavers lack of technique.

A few months experience with a DE is recommended before trying one.

Back
Top Bottom