Merkur 37c or 39c

Same head... and both are mounted on a heavy handle. Just depends on whether you like long handles or short and how grippy you like it... the 39C is mega heavy, hence why it's called the sledgehammer.
The 37 has the same knurled handle as the 34C HD so it's mega grippy, you could use it in the shower.

If I was choosing I'd want the 39 (in fact I still yearn for one) but it's mainly because I already have a short handled knurled Merkur, and I think if you're going with a slant bar you may as well have it large.

I've tried the 39C and put it this way, Santa will be getting a begging letter from me this year for sure.

It's one of those things, I'm quite the opposite of Canuck. I have a 34c and 37c. Both are perfect for me. The weight is nice and the handle isn't too big. It's just right :)

I recently bought a 39c. I chose it simply because I prefer a longer handle and that's what I'm used to. I have no regrets, I love it! I don't think you'd go wrong with either.

I have a 39c. When I first received it I thought: Wow that's one big razor! After a few shaves I thought: that's a big razor. Then I got the Futur and all of a sudden it wasn't that big of a razor. I'm about 6ft and 200lb ish. I don't think that I'd want the smaller one.

I have the 37c, and love it! Its my favorite razor. I do not have small hands, but have always preferred the short handled razors. So much in fact that I find the handle of the Feather AS-D1 just a bit too long (Not that it disqualifies the Feather in any way).

I hold the 37c by the very end of the handle at the screw knob, thats when I get the best shaves. And holding it like that, you don't need a longer handle.

My 2p, YMMV

/Max

I used the long handled for years & liked it a lot. Only major diff in handling, for me, was that because of the length of the handle it took a wee bit more care to stay in the "sweet spot" at just the correct angle. The handle being much longer even a slight movement at the operator's end makes for a much larger change of angle at the the shaving head.
Since the shorter handle is much more common I'd follow the advice previously given and go for a long handle which you shouldn't have any probs trading on later if you wish to. They're both nice shavers.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Think it will be the 39c then, thanks people :).

Well its ordered but i now have to wait for it :icon_sad: £33.90 with free postage aint too bad, oh well i just have to put up with the Slim until it arrives!!

Well the razor was waiting for me when i came home in the hall delivered from me postie.

I have been waiting for this baby, so i had a brew and went to the bathroom had an exfoliating face wash then hot flannel and soaked the badger and stuck the merkur blade (never tried one so why not) that came with it in, lathered up some menthol prorasso and had a go.

I had not bothered shaving since Thursday waiting for this razor so 4 days growth on there, 1st pass atg it was near gone and i have a fairly heavy dark growth, 2nd pass all gone nearly, few bits missed so had a quick tidy up cold rinse ran the alum over it and no sting for the 1st ever time, some sanex after shave balm and that was that.

I can honestly say i have to do sometimes 4 or 5 passes with my other razors and still dont get anything near this after 2 passes, i have a slim adjustable 1967 an edwin jagger dbl89 and a mach 3 :icon_rolleyes:, i think they wont be getting much more use now at all, im so chuffed with this razor, red personna next up.

Always nice when an anticipated piece of kit lives up to expectations. & I'd expect that things may only improve when you move on from the Merkur blade.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

chrisbell said:
If you're feeling brave, put a Feather in it and handle with care - you may get close enough in a single pass!:icon_razz:

You're a braver man than me Chris!

I have tried a Gillette Bleue Extra, Super Thin and a Super Iridium and they were just right for me. I reckon a Feather would be just too close for comfort.

Back
Top Bottom