Merkur 34C and 38C

From left to right is a Flair Tip Rocket, Merkur 34C, Merkur 38C and Gillette Fatboy. This review is about the 34C and 38C. The photo illustrates the size/shape comparisons. They weigh 58,78,113 and 79gms respectively.

The other photo illustrates the difference between the Merkur and Gillette heads. A simple twist of the mechanism at the bottom of the handle releases the head of the Merkur and facilitates easy cleaning. The most striking thing about these Merkur razors is the simplicity of the design and the solid feel they have in the hand. They are built to last and look as though nothing could possibly ever go wrong with them. The 34C has quite a weighty feel and if you are used to a shortish handle it will feel comfortable in your hand. I used mine for several months with a Derby blade and was delighted with the results. But for some time I wondered if I might prefer a rather longer handle. I recently had a look at a group of longer handled razors and from reviews and photos thought I might go for a Jagger for around £80. When I felt and handled the 38C it was no contest. At less than half the price of the Jagger it felt like a Rolls Royce tank if there was such a thing. At 113 gms it is a significantly heavy beast. It demands to be held lightly and defies you to apply too much pressure in use. For some reason I did not feel that the Derby performed so well in the 38C. I have now switched to the Red Personna blade and it is a superb combination for me. These Merkur razors are very highly reviewed. I can only say from my experience they fully live up to the claims made for them They are great value and great performers and a delight to own.

Attachments

• DSC_1272.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 1,720
  • DSC_1270.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 1,713
I prefer the 34C ("HD") to the 38C ("The barber's pole") - 34C has better balance IMO. 38C tilts too much towards the end of the handle during shaves.

When I first switched from the 34C to the 38C I wondered if I had done the right thing. I am used to it now and much prefer the weight and feel of the 38 - perhaps I have found the right angle and pressure needed for that perfect shave!

Yep, like a lot of others I returned to DE shaving with an HD from the Shack. I am extremely fond of it and it gives me a great shave with a Derby blade.

Looks absolutely great, non slip grip, its balance handles well and built like a panzer - can't go wrong really.

As Solingen is the twin town of my home town I feel a kind of loyalty however the kit IS that good IMHO.

I have been using a new Edwin Jagger 89L this week; I'll give an opinion after 7 days worth of action.

The 34C and 38C are classics for modern DE razors. I sometimes wish these were 3 piece instead of 2 piece so I could try a few different heads on them.

I have received a 34C this Christmas and am very happy with it over the past couple of shaves whilst using a bleue extra. Built like a tank, lovely and aggressive meaning you need to stay clued on.

But, I was just wondering what people who have used the Edwin Jagger 86/87/89's as well as the 34C think of both of them, and which one they prefer?
I ask as I was torn between them before I eventually received one as a present.

Cheers,

Trueman

Joe mcclaine said:
I have owned and used both (twice actually).

I preferred the DE87 - a bit more aggressive, nicer handle

Fido said:
They are both fine razors. I actually find the Merkur to be more aggressive than the Jagger head. Find the right way to use them and they both deliver excellent shaves.

Cheers Vinny and Fido.
I think I may now get an EJ 80-series just to have it and give it a little go.
Oh no, I can feel a bout of RAD coming on - help.

Best,

Trueman

Back
Top Bottom