Member's Shaving Techniques

antdad said:
There is also Proraso pre and post, that I cannot vouch for but I am curious about.

Tony for what it's worth, I didn't rate proraso pre/post that highly as either a pre or a post.

For me, and this is just my preferance, it is way too cooling for a pre shave it almost numbs your face and makes your eyes water.

Used as a post, the cooling properties were nice but my skin didn't absorb it very well and it changed from a paste type texture to a crumbly texture.

Hi Antdad, I produce a full range of my own products, but I also rotate with other brands as well, just like everyone else. I use my own oil, but I also use KOS as I have said, and the Natural Grooming one, I have also tried Trufit & Hill but think that is overpriced for what it is.

Prep is normally a hot shower if not I use a hot towel. Number of passes depends on stubble length generally its 2 + some blade buffing.

I use a mixture of wtg and xtg strokes on the 1st pass then a mix of xtg and atg on the 2nd with J hooking the under chin area. Then I buff a couple of spots under chin and about the "goatee" area, its what I've found works well and offers very little irritation.

Once wtg, once agt then a wee tidy up if required for the odd bit of stubble left hiding in the cracks. Always use Trumpers Coral skin food prior to and after shaving as it just really suits my sometimes problematic skin. Although, just to spite the yuk, yukkin' Rev I shall make a point of splashing on my MB's summer ASB ! So there see ! And no, like H/Blob I don't find the Trumpers at all greasy, just a nicely moisturising glycerine based balm. In fact, oh dearie me, maybe I'll just keep on using it instead of my MB's asb, which even I have to admit hasn't proved amongst my favourites. Yuk away Rev, yuk away.

JohnnyO. ;)

9/10 I shave after a shower, and I'll generally apply my Proraso pre shave cream to wet skin and allow it to soak in and soften the beard while I mix the lather in the shave mug.

Depending whether its a functional work shave, or a slower more luxurious evening shave I'll do two or three passes. Between passes I'll wet my hands and pass them over my face, but I don't rinse. After the final pass I rinse with warm water and the apply the alum bar, in the minute or so while that's working I'll wash the mug, brush and razor before a thorough cold water rinse.

I then pat my face dry, and allow it to air dry while I put my products away, finishing with a generous after shave splash.

Back
Top Bottom