Member's Shaving Techniques

I have just completed my morning shave, and as I was doing so it occured to me that the actual way I shave might be different to the way other people do it. In fact I am willing to bet that each of us has a slightly different technique, as shaving is such a personal experience anyway. I am not talking about product lines here, or the benefit of soaps over creams, or straight razors over safety's, but the actual technique we use to remove our stubble. I thought if we shared our technique with each other we might all pick up a new idea or two, it's just a thought, and I think it's worth a try, so I will get the ball rolling.

I start with either a hot shower, or just a warm face wash with a good facial cleanser.
Next I use a shave oil to lay a foundation under the soap. I have very dry skin, and the oil really helps to keep the skin soft. If you have oily skin you wouldn't get the same benefit. Then I lather up with a badger brush and a hard soap. The only time I will use a cream is when I'm travelling, as I can't be bothered to pack a brush and bowl.

I then lather all over the oil base, and if it's a Monday or a Thursday put a new blade in my safety razor.

Then I shave downwards only in small light strokes starting on the right cheek and going all the way down to the base of the neck. Then rinsing the razor after each completed line, I continue until I gat half way across. Then start again at the left cheek working back to the middle. When the first pass is done, I wash everything away with warm water, dry my face, and start again.

I don't use an oil base for the second pass, as my skin will still feel soft from the first coating of oil. I just soap up again and using the same technique but shaving sideways this time, across the grain rather than with it, remove all the soap, and wash off again.

The third pass with me is just a minute of tidying up. I don't put any more soap on, just a light smear of oil on the tiny patches I have missed. The oil is great for this as it is transparent unlike the soap, I can see my face though it, and I can guide the razor to an exact tiny patch of stubble I will have missed after the first two passes. Generally there is a tiny patch of stubble at the base and sides of my neck, at the corners of my mouth, and just under my nose. I can be more accurate with the oil than I can with soap, and when I have the last of the missing stubble removed, I rinse off with cold water and pat dry with a towel.

Then I add a good balm, working it well in, and a spash over the balm. I tend to use the same balm and splash from the same product line, so for instance Tabac AS Balm, and then Tabac AS splash, or T&H west indian limes balm and then splash.

And that's me done!

Does everyone else do it differently?

This has the potential to become an interesting thread I think.

Pretty much the same DE technique here, except no oil. I have tried oil but I find it clogs up the razor and makes cleaning the sink a pain. I tend to rely upon the lather providing all the lubrication needed. Although after reading your post I might give oil another try, what oil do you use?

Warm water rinse, face-lather, WTG pass, warm water rinse, relather, shave ATG, cold water rinse & apply AS

Oil leaves me with a sink, face, razor & brush all requiring another clean and seems to add nothing at all to the shave other than making the lather less stable - probably by being absorbed by the soap's hydrophobic part - ie. the soap acting as a degreaser rather than as a lubricant.

Lately I've found no real need for two passes plus minor work thereafter.

One nice pass and perhaps few touch ups on the chin will do the job for me. Sometimes less is more.

Yes perhaps, but the oil does leave my face feeling extra smooth afterwards, I can tell the difference if I haven't used an oil. I do use a good balm afterwards as well.

I cant advise on the coral as i use the lime, But i wouldn't say it left me greasy. Hot towel and then the skin food and it soaks right in as i bowl lather my Nanny's. Cold wash and alum to finish and then apply proraso to wet face which dries very quickly and then apply the skin food which soaks in like any other moisturiser.

I used the Profs oil and I did think that my skin felt smoother after , was'nt particularly messy.I'm still trying it out.
Must hunt out the pre/post and try it again , nice menthol not sure if it makes that much difference to the shave though

Back
Top Bottom