Meet the Simpsons, The Rooneys and the others....

Audio,

I can't believe I missed this! Absolutely beautiful! Mighty nice collection my friend. I'm curious the Duke 3 Best, did you guys just ask Vulfix specifically for 2-band or you pretty much lucked out? The stock pictures I see online aren't 2-band like other sites. I reckon they're essentially the same grade but of either 2 or 3-band.

Between that and Chubby 2 which you like best ( no pun intended )?

BTW nice touch keeping the Astor in the centre! ;)

SiR-ed8 said:
Audio,

Between that and Chubby 2 which you like best ( no pun intended )?

BTW nice touch keeping the Astor in the centre! ;)

Oh dear that is like asking a man which of his children he prefers.......I prefer the D3 :lol:

Don't get me wrong I really love the CH2 in 2B but it is a weekend brush. It drinks like a fish and takes half a ton of soap to really load it up but when it gets going it easily does as many passes as I ever want. I have done a four pass shave with the CH2 and it was still generating lather like a rabid dog (but without the halitosis). It then takes a small lake to clean it but it is very luxurious to use and I do enjoy it every time I use it, I know there are much bigger brushes out there but this is as big as I want to go.

The D3 is a brush I use regularly and I just enjoy it more often so I prefer the D3 but I do like them both. Vulfix made it specifically to order but they seemed to close the door on any further orders for it. I don't really know why for sure, maybe it worked out being a PIA or they weren't into group buys but if you were specifically interested there is no harm in asking.

I heard that Simpsons shut down the Duke 3 in 2Band after they were inundated with requests from B&B members. I have no idea if that is because they plan on releasing them to the public, or they cannot get the hair for the knots.

I heard that Bullgoose is having to wait a couple of months for back order custom Simpson 2Band brushes.

On another note, Vintage blades are selling all the Simpsons 2 Band they stock at a reduced rate. WTF

I've heard a few rumours about two band supply but who really knows?

I thought Simpson shut the door on all custom orders because they were getting silly requests for all sorts like converting a Simpson case to two band which is about the size of your thumb.

If Vintage Blades knew of any shortage surely they wouldn't be having a sale? Then again it is holiday season...once a brush maker or two goes AWOL for a week or two...

You have your finger on the pulse Dr. P?

fozz77 said:
I heard that Simpsons shut down the Duke 3 in 2Band after they were inundated with requests from B&B members. I have no idea if that is because they plan on releasing them to the public, or they cannot get the hair for the knots.

I heard that Bullgoose is having to wait a couple of months for back order custom Simpson 2Band brushes.

On another note, Vintage blades are selling all the Simpsons 2 Band they stock at a reduced rate. WTF

Ian,

While I generally don't believe rumors, I wouldn't be surprised the silly requests stemmed from BB

antdad said:
I've heard a few rumours about two band supply but who really knows?

I thought Simpson shut the door on all custom orders because they were getting silly requests for all sorts like converting a Simpson case to two band which is about the size of your thumb.

If Vintage Blades knew of any shortage surely they wouldn't be having a sale? Then again it is holiday season...once a brush maker or two goes AWOL for a week or two...

You have your finger on the pulse Dr. P?

Hey Deputy Steward! Love the title Antdad!
faint.gif

Case, Classic, Duke few small brushes among others from Simpsons along with the Wee Scot which belongs in class of its own.

Watch it, I'm well up the greasy pole to megalomaniacal heaven.

I remember now, somebody actually did request a Wee Scott in two band, possible coincidence? It seems that after that there were no more custom's. Anyway I read somewhere that there is a physical problem with making knots that small in two band, I think it is too stiff to form easily but don't quote me on that.

Audio,

Strange as this sound, would you kindly squeeze the hair knot just above the handle on your brushes for density purposes?

My Semogues are hard as rock compared to my Vulfix and even Omega.

Antdad,

Well my friend I don't know how they got away with it. I seriously doubt Simpsons/Vulfix would play favourites with its retailers. Unless I'm grossly mistaken. I saw on catalogue and a vendor even confirmed that Simpsons need a minimum of 12 dozen order for any special custom.

So how would a vendor get away with overpricing an Eagle? Simple just order 50 of them from Simpsons and charge $$$ to 50 other members.

I never bothered to check at this particular vendor's site if he does in fact have the rest of 94 remaining brushes on stock.

Here's the catalog I was referring to just the right of Coates creams from EM's:

Retailers can commission their own exclusive shapes provided these are ordered in minimum quantities of 12 dozen

simpsons_pg22-23.jpg

I didn't have a chance to take a pic but did give it a squeeze and indeed amongst other 2B brushes I own such as the X2L the D3 is really dense, as densely packed as the Rooney Heritage I own. During break in it was a bit of a hog but unlike the Rooney the D3 has bloomed slightly and now generates lather from hard soap easily. These days I don't make endless lathers with a new brush, I just use it and if it is being a hog I add a blob of cream (or just use a cream) I enjoy seeing it develop, some days you don't notice but once in a while you do think yeah it is getting there. I do allow it to fully dry after each use so this can be a slow process, but I am patient.

The D3 is rock solid and squeezing as hard as I can it just doesn't give, the pedantic wet shaver that we are we got them to lower the loft even further then they first setting and this gives the knot a level of rigidity that is quite special.

This is such an interesting read.

I set my New Forest 2201 loft at 50mm because I preferred the flexibility of the Astor (52mm) and my PJ2 (50mm) in two band to the lofts in the mid 40s. The bulb shape Ehsan at a loft of 46mm is certainly a popular brush among soap users. I'm now thinking that my fan shape two band which I tested at 50mm would be worth trying at 45/46mm.

Threads like this are a really useful source of ideas to try!

Perhaps I should get an Ehsan for my blog. Any excuse will do.

My D3 and X2L are the same loft, 47-48mm with the wider knot of the D3 giving it the edge. Guess I got lucky with mt X2L but quite a variance indeed.

Audio,

Discounting the discomfort from your Rooney's handle in Size 1 Style 1 how would it compare to the Stubby 2 Heritage and Stubby 2 Super in terms of lathering? Do you face lather or bowl lather? In either case do you find the brush to retain its overall shape just splaying enough to develop good lather?

I'm also curious, at one point did Executive Shaving ever carry Heritage series? They have every single one sans Heritage or Limited editions.

Truth be told if ever was to get a Rooney it wouldn't be from 2 US vendors known to carry them. I'm well aware the price I pay for a Best Style 1 in UK is equivalent to the price of Style 1 Super in US. That may be relevant to some but not for me. I simply don't want to finance US vendors that carry them.

Audiolab said:
My D3 and X2L are the same loft, 47-48mm with the wider knot of the D3 giving it the edge. Guess I got lucky with mt X2L but quite a variance indeed.

Generally my favourite brushes from my brushes fall within confines of 47 loft to 55.

BTW between the Duke 3 and Chubbs 2 which handle do you prefer? The OEM specs seem to favour the Duke by 1mm over the Chubby. Thanks

Back
Top Bottom