Maybe they're not for me ...

Good evening, folks. I trust our Friday nights are panning out well ...

Okay, I am now the happy owner of a fresh pack of Personna blades from Connaught and I can confirm that these are indeed sharp. I must have had the worst luck ever with those Schicks. None of them felt right. I know you can get a bad blade here and there, but a whole pack? Well, the first four, anyway. I chucked it after that ...

So, I have a good blade and it seemed right to insert a Personna into ... a Personna.

I gather the Personna razor is a little different to Schicks, making use of a different angle. Given that I am yet to have a successful shave with an injector I'm going to consider this my first shave and so, don't need to adapt or learn a different angle compared to other injectors. There's madness in that there method :D

I do have a question, though ...

Upon injecting the blade, it was on a slight angle and I was able to push it to the back of the razor. Is that right, or should the blade be right up against the stops either side of the bar? It's something like a .20 gap, so negligible, but I know "blade reveal" does make all the difference.

What say you guys?

Wish me well. Tonight is the night I get to enjoy an injector. Positive thinking.

Re: RE: Maybe they're not for me ...

pjgh said:
Good evening, folks. I trust our Friday nights are panning out well ...

Okay, I am now the happy owner of a fresh pack of Personna blades from Connaught and I can confirm that these are indeed sharp. I must have had the worst luck ever with those Schicks. None of them felt right. I know you can get a bad blade here and there, but a whole pack? Well, the first four, anyway. I chucked it after that ...

So, I have a good blade and it seemed right to insert a Personna into ... a Personna.

I gather the Personna razor is a little different to Schicks, making use of a different angle. Given that I am yet to have a successful shave with an injector I'm going to consider this my first shave and so, don't need to adapt or learn a different angle compared to other injectors. There's madness in that there method :D

I do have a question, though ...

Upon injecting the blade, it was on a slight angle and I was able to push it to the back of the razor. Is that right, or should the blade be right up against the stops either side of the bar? It's something like a .20 gap, so negligible, but I know "blade reveal" does make all the difference.

What say you guys?

Wish me well. Tonight is the night I get to enjoy an injector. Positive thinking.

Hi Paul,

My injector does that sometimes. Just have a tinker and get it all lined up nicely. Once your shaving there won't be enough resistance on the blade to make it jig about or anything so you should be fine.

Well that's just my experience any way, yours may vary. If you slice a length of your cheek off then please note I'm using this as my disclaimer! :D I jest of course.

Good luck mate, I hope all goes well. Or at the very least it's an improvement on your last venture!

God speed.

Balls!

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-23021-post-319684.html#pid319684

Daft thing is, I gave the area just under my sideburns a scrape with no prep just to confirm blade sharpness and got smooth skin. What's going on? This shave was milder than the lightest Tech and that one pass was it ... I just could not get it any closer, whatever the angle.

One last try ... it all rests on the Schick J.

If that fails, get your hawk eyes on the BST forum :D

Re: RE: Maybe they're not for me ...

pjgh said:
Balls!

http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-23021-post-319684.html#pid319684

Daft thing is, I gave the area just under my sideburns a scrape with no prep just to confirm blade sharpness and got smooth skin. What's going on? This shave was milder than the lightest Tech and that one pass was it ... I just could not get it any closer, whatever the angle.

One last try ... it all rests on the Schick J.

If that fails, get your hawk eyes on the BST forum :D

Lol, replied.

All I can tell you Paul is what works for me. Put the side containing the blade flat against your face and pull down. It requires a very narrow angle, even narrower than an SE.

I've tried three Schicks all using the above method and got great shaves from them all.

The other thing is the razors are very light so the temptation is to apply pressure. Don't!! (I speak from experience!)

Got it! The Schicks are next ...

I'm used to the steep rake from the 1912s, the handle almost perpendicular the to face, the blade almost parallel. The Personna is a little different and more like a DE, but no amount of fiddling, adjusting and rolling from one extreme to the other in the hope of finding "the bite" worked out.

Tonight was better than my other trial with the Schick blades, but only marginally so ...

Down from my sideburns worked out okay, my neck passable, my mouth area poor and my chin just bad. Bad, as in not reduced growth much and just didn't with two more passes.

Schick next ... it might just be the lovely curved Personna is not right for me, but I did try the Schicks and the PAL last time to the same ends. One I did not try out last time was the Schick DIAL ... that might be the key, for me.

Ever the optimist ...

If I do sell, I'll keep the Personna just because I love the shape.

Thanks for the encouragement, and thank you for the further tips.

Back
Top Bottom