Maybe they're not for me ...

Injectors - check out my write up on SOTD: http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/forum/thread-22904-post-317879.html#pid317879

... thoughts?

Same blade(s) in three different injector razors. I tried ... I really tried.

Either I was going to make something like 6 plus passes on a gentle angle to end up with a crap shave or I was going to rip my face off looking for a 3 pass shave for less than even a good shave.

I tried ... I really did. Different angles, pressure. I could not get these to work for me.

Thoughts?

One day's worth of growth, BTW. Scratchy and resisting to a stroke. One pass with a Merkur 23C/Blue Diamond got me back to PDGS.

Hi Paul,

I'm quite surprised at the disappointing results you've had. The injector is definitely a mild razor but I've personally always been able to get a really nice 3 pass shave with only a bit of touch up at the end. :/

Very strange. The angle is a funny one, you have to get the thing nearly vertical to your face to get a good result. If you were going in at the regular DE type angle out of habit or even just subconsciously reverting back to it throughout then this is probably where the problem arose.

Don't give up just yet, give it another go and see how you get on.

Ben

I use a mild L model (I think) and get a nice, smooth shave every time, in fact ive just sourced a NOS I2 model as well. I'm still quite new to DE shaving but I thought these were a great starter razor and useful for the last tidy up with something a bit more aggressive

Greetings

I find that really intriguing, no matter whether you like the razor a lot or not at all, it should cut whiskers and give a reasonable shave which clearly it is not.

Injectors do require a slightly different angle ie keeping the handle well up but I suspect that is not the problem. Exapno has, I believe probably come up with the answer, it is simplicity itself to 'bugger up' an injector blade whilst inserting it by rubbing it along the near blade stop. If neither of these are the answer than perhaps you are correct in your assumption that injectors are just not for you.

I do have to say though that two models you tried (PAL and Personna) are the more tricky injectors as far as angle goes; the Schicks (all models) are more forgiving with regard to razor angle.

Regards
Dick.

I've never yet managed to get a truely close shave with an injector, whilst GEM & Ever Readys produce me shaving nirvana. So I just accepted long ago that, as with most types of razor, they're not for everyone.
But then, so many razors, so many choices, we'll never be stuck for a nice one.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Thanks for the ideas, folks.

After the first abortive attempt, I wondered (like you suggest, Dick) whether the blade had been compromised against the stops. Revealing a little blade from the injector and ensuring it was right up against the back of the injector, loaded carefully and tried again.

I have watched some videos, read up and garnered that the angle is very different. I am certain that I got the angle right but with a light touch, the blade seemed to grab and skip; more pressure and it felt like tearing. It just didn't feel right.

I'll get the pack from Connaught and give it another go with a different blade.

I had a Schick 'L' for a couple of months & tried every variant of pressure, angle, prep, soap I could but just couldn't get as close a shave as I wanted, certainly nowhere near a DE shave.

Some swear by injectors, but I ended up just swearing at it... in the end I traded it for another DE with a member here (it had been gifted to me by a TSR forum member so there was no way I was going to profit by it) who I believe is perfectly happy with it.

It's possible to get a rogue razor. I have around a dozen injectors of which the I1 and I2 give an excellent shave with just two passes. However, I have two identical G1 types, one which is fine and the other which doesn't seem to cut the bristles at all , no matter the angle used etc. I've looked at the head angles and head orientation but can't see any difference. The Pal injector is pretty hopeless as well. Sometimes you just get a bad 'un.

Hiya,

Offhand, I would say the blades are the problem. Using that J type Schick shouldn't give you any discomfort and should provide a decent shave, even until you figure out any necessary technique tweaks. What blades are you using?

Back
Top Bottom