Martin De Candre

Hmmm difficult one..shaving stuff is very subjective. I have a pot and I find it to be excellent. It explodes with lather and has a nice scent (the fougere) and is one of my favourite soaps..another plus point is it seems to last forever..however ..I think you get 200g of soap filled to the very top of the jar. It also has very simple ingredients (few harsh chemicals ect.)
I find it worth it because I like it a lot and will be getting another pot once I use it up...why not try a sample first. I think it's a top notch product.
Good luck!

It's got a simple (and, based on my experience, quite reliable) formula with, as noted, few ingredients. I won't be without it (because a tub lasts a long time, especially if you have a few soaps in rotation), but I think some of the top artisanal soaps are as good—but also somewhat different.

If it doesn't work for you, I would suspect hard water. Unlike (say) D.R. Harris, Martin de Candre has no EDTA or other chemicals to alleviate the effects of hard water, and hard water doesn't work well with pure soaps, producing a sticky scum. If you know your water is hard, you can run the sink half full of water and dissolve in it a small pinch of citric acid, which will help. A good test for water hardness is to get some distilled water or "purified" water (from which minerals are removed by reverse osmosis), add a dollop of tap water (pure demineralized water tends to make airy lather), and use that to lather and shave. If the lather with the diluted distilled/purified water is much better, then your water is hard and the citric acid trick may be worth a try. You can find citric acid sold with brewing supplies (helps invert sugar), healthfood stores (salt substitute and prevents mold when growing sprouts), and canning supplies (prevents browning due to oxidation). Be sure to get pure citric acid (white granulated crystals), not (e.g.) citric acid mixed with pectin, which is sometimes how it's sold for canning.

Really, Martin de Candre should not have to be discarded, and if it doesn't work, it's worth figuring out why. As I said, the prime suspect would be the water.

Question now then must be... Which flavour?! Hmmm

Original Scented (Lavender, rosemary & mint)
Fougère (Fern - green and woody fragrance)
Vetiver (Dry, woody, smokey)
Rose (We know what rose smells like)

I've tried two, the original and the fougère. I personally preferred the original and gave the fougère to my nephew. Vetiver and rose, though I like both, are somehow less intriguing in this soap. One of my favorite vetivers is Cyril R. Salter's French Vetiver shaving cream: intense! I like rose from time to time, and I like it a lot at those times, but I don't think I would enjoy it day in and day out.

Back
Top Bottom