Making ones own Pre-Shave oil...?

Evening Gents,

I am interested in making my own pre-shave oil, and wondering about others experiences with this.

I have found plenty of advice for mixtures with parts Olive oil and Castor oil, so that seems to be the way to go - so I guess I am mostly curious about your experiences overall and what type of container you can recommend? Also, any recommendations for scents or essentials oils to add? (Or should I not go there initially..?) :huh:

Thanks, Mads

AH - sorry, wrong sub-forum!

This should have been posted in the pre-shave forum, apologies..tried to delete without any luck.

I've never made one but I am one of a rare breed here, that is someone who actually likes them. Pre shave oils are famously unbeloved on The Shaving Room.

My own choice (T+H oil) apparently contains (and I guess you know this already): Sunflower Seed Oil, Avacado Oil, Meadowfoam Seed Oil, Glyceryl Oleate, Fume Silica, Kukui Seed Oil, Laureth-4, Grapefruit Peel Oil, Tangerine Peel Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Extract, Cucumber Fruit Extract, Canola Oil, Safflower Seed Oil, Tocopherol, TBHQ.

I like the smell of the citrus oils, certainly. If I was making my own I guess olive oil would also make sense seeing as that's what people used years ago way before shaving soap ever existed. It was good enough for the Romans.

Yes, I've been making mine own for a while now: base is Noxzema Cream(2oz size); 5ish drops of: grape seed oil; almond oil; tea tree oil; glycerine. Mix well. Apply to face a few mins before shaving lather.

quattrojames said:
Martin (Professor Blighty) did a great post on this a year or so ago, it's worth searching that out.

Any chance of a link to that post, or some key searchwords to find it?

I'm fairly keen on shaving oils, but have tried few thus far. Was thinking about trying pure coconut oil, nothing else. Supposed to be amazing.

Fido said:
I had a go at this, this was my experience:

http://fidosshavingblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/pre-shave-oil.html

Sounds fairly unsuccessful, and corroborates what was posted above regarding the clogging of brushes.

While prattling about the science behind shaving moves me almost to anger, I understood that the point of an oil was to moisturize the face ahead of a possibly astringent soap, as well-moisturised skin has more give, thus catches less and is less prone to nicks and cuts? Rather than to lubricate by adding an extra layer between the razor and the skin?

Ken T M said:
quattrojames said:
Martin (Professor Blighty) did a great post on this a year or so ago, it's worth searching that out.

Any chance of a link to that post, or some key searchwords to find it?

I'm fairly keen on shaving oils, but have tried few thus far. Was thinking about trying pure coconut oil, nothing else. Supposed to be amazing.

From memory there was a bit of a disagreement over something from within it and Martin withdrew it - a PM to him might reveal more.

Northam Saint lives near Bideford Apothecary (bit of a nightmare website for me), who are one of the few to stock 'Turkish Red Oil'. If he hasn't been too busy potwhalloping lately, maybe he has tried this ingredient - or would be our guinea-pig.
I bought a small bottle, but my face puffed a little first time, so I'll leave awhile and try a lower percentage. Puffed up hours after the shave - smooth and great, so I want to persevere. Any other tried and tested recipes would be good.
Happy New Year all
Lloyd

I know the place you mean, in fact my mate took over her shop when she moved recently.

This Turkish Red concerns me a little though http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Castor_oil#Turkey_red_oil it seems it can be nasty stuff, and judging from that link it could cause irritation. It also says about keeping it away from eyes as it's basically castor oil and sulphuric acid. Yes it looks like a good lubricant but I wouldn't try it as I really don't know enough about mixing oils and I certainly would go for it neat.

Thank you Northam Saint for saving me from myself (and misinformation). I am (too) slowly learning just how much water is needed for every product. Less is definitely more for lathering.
Given my reaction to it on first try, I guess it's one for washing the floor.
Wishing you a 2012 of quality Potwhallopping (do you exercise your right?).
Lloyd

lloydedwards said:
Thank you Northam Saint for saving me from myself (and misinformation). I am (too) slowly learning just how much water is needed for every product. Less is definitely more for lathering.
Lloyd

For those unaware of the custom http://www.visitdevon.co.uk/events/westward-ho-potwalloping-festival-p278833#proxprodtype=attr

Alas no I don't take part, I have only been a "local" for just over two years. In the eyes of the true locals I have about 22 years or so left to be " local". To be honest though there ain't a lot of locals around. We foreigners have taken the place over to a degree.

Ken T M said:
Fido said:
I had a go at this, this was my experience:

http://fidosshavingblog.blogspot.com/2009/10/pre-shave-oil.html

Sounds fairly unsuccessful, and corroborates what was posted above regarding the clogging of brushes.

While prattling about the science behind shaving moves me almost to anger, I understood that the point of an oil was to moisturize the face ahead of a possibly astringent soap, as well-moisturised skin has more give, thus catches less and is less prone to nicks and cuts? Rather than to lubricate by adding an extra layer between the razor and the skin?

A pure shaving oil may protect the skin from shaving soap but it won't moisturise as such ie. add water, unlike a dedicated moisturiser which is basically an oil and water suspension. So although it may soften or elasticate the skin it will also prevent the beard from softening by water absroption which is actually the problem with using pre shave oil in the first place. Of course you can soften the beard thoroughly prior to using a shaving oil but lathering atop oil seems a pretty pointless exercise to me, if your skin had dried out after shaving use moisturiser, if you want a slicker shave you are better off adding a few drops of glycerine to the lather mix rather than oil to your face which can only interfere with the lather making process in the first place.

Forget oils, I have never found one that really worked well.

I recently acquired some Truefitt & Hill Cleansing Scrub, and find this is an excellent per shave.

http://www.truefittandhill.co.uk/viewproducts.php?selection=No.10%20Range&id=433

Northam Saint said:
lloydedwards said:
Lloyd

For those unaware of the custom http://www.visitdevon.co.uk/events/westward-ho-potwalloping-festival-p278833#proxprodtype=attr

Alas no I don't take part, I have only been a "local" for just over two years. In the eyes of the true locals I have about 22 years or so left to be " local". To be honest though there ain't a lot of locals around. We foreigners have taken the place over to a degree.

A man who had lived in a small village for 15yr was talking to one of the locals one day and said: " I know that you'll never accept me as a 'local' ; but surely my daughter who was born here will be." the local replied back:"if a cat has kittens in an oven do you call them ' muffins'?"

Back
Top Bottom