Maggie Thatcher Passes Away.

RE: Lady Thatcher Passes Away.

Just got to say Johnny PR wasn't rejected. The Alternative Vote was. If anything it can throw up even less proportional results. No improvement on the present system so hardly a surprise it was rejected. I'm a believer in PR, but I didn't turn out to vote in that referendum because the alternative being offered was bollocks. Clegg fell for Cameron's bait hook, line and sinker in return for a sniff of power. He sold a raison d'être of his party down the river in doing so.

I think one of the issues is those who did well under a Thatcher government did very well, and those who suffered really suffered.

I also think that if you didn't live in one of the areas that really suffered under Maggie's reign in the seventies and eighties (like South Yorkshire) then you will never understand why she polarises opinion so much.

Quick reply Rob. Yes I'm suggesting a lot of former Labour voters who took advantage of the Right to Buy became Tory voters. If that hadn't been a result the policy would have been a political failure, which I've never heard anyone suggesting it was. If I could be bothered I'm sure this could be referenced in the historical and political literature. But I've spent more than enough time on this thread already! The economic and social failure of the policy was in failing to use the proceeds to replace with new social housing stock. I already mentioned that the policy of failing to replace was largely politically motivated as well.

On the baby with the bath water comment. I already covered my view of this in earlier posts. Reforms were needed (including in union practices, failing management, union-management relations), industry needed modernising. Other countries (most notably, and a good comparison, Germany) managed this without destroying their industrial base. Thanks to Thatcher, and I'll acknowledge a failure of leadership in the Labour movement, we didn't. Much to the disadvantage of our economy to this day.

Just got to say Johnny PR wasn't rejected. The Alternative Vote was.

Fair and accurate comment Shavecraft. Although I'm not entirely sure (and certainly couldn't prove any any assertion) that everyone who didn't vote or voted against what was on offer did so because of the system on offer. Speaking as one who lives under the iniquitious "List System" we have here in Scotland which allows MSPs such as Ms Sturgeon to lose succesive elections yet still appear in the Scottish Parliament as spokespersons for their party I can't help feeling that the Scottish experiment with a form of proportional representation is enough to arouse scepticism in many voters. (Most certainly in this one at least !).

This whole thread does rather sum up political discussion in general, doesn't it. Nobody's mind is changed, and each side thinks the other immune to facts, logic, and basic human decency.

You're correct yet again Dr.R. And the more passionately we feel the more we rehearse our beliefs and so consolidate them in our own minds.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

UKRob said:
Chicken or Egg? Another reading of your example might be that the British shipyard was unworkable because of union power.

That made me chuckle, Rob. I was in Smith's Docks in North Shields for six months as part of my cadetship - 1965, twenty years after WWII ended. They had a steam driven crane that chugged and puffed along the top of the dry-dock wall. It could not reach up and over a lot of ships. Did they buy a new crane big enough to do the job? Not a bit of it! They converted the old - and I mean ancient - crane from coal fired to oil fired and it continued to chug and puff around the yard, too small and not powerful enough to do it's intended job.

Unworkable because of union power? Nah! the crane was too little. Singapore was getting alll mod cons in whacking big drydocks with huge, powerful cranes. British capital chasing cheap labour.

There was a time when, if you wanted a ship, you had to buy a British built ship and if you wanted an engine in that British built ship, you had to install a British engine, designed and built in Britian. It always seemed to me that was a pretty good head start on the Rest of the World. A bit of investment and modernisation was needed - well, a lot to be fair, after decades of neglect. All long since gone, apart from RN work. Maggie nailed the coffin lid down on that one, too.

I don't think you can explain history via personal anecdotes Carl. But I'm glad I cheered you up anyway.

This is positively my last word on this increasingly pointless thread.

UKRob said:
I don't think you can explain history via personal anecdotes Carl. But I'm glad I cheered you up anyway.

This is positively my last word on this increasingly pointless thread.

See, Maggie didn't believe that history and countries are made up of personal stories, either.

I'm sad you find the thread to be "increasingly pointless", Rob. I find the passions I felt long ago have been revived and find they are echoed by people much younger than myself - that feels good! I take my renewed anger at Maggie to the gym and enjoy some really 'good' workouts. I enjoy getting more insight into some of our members that I wouldn't othherwise get. But mainly, in the face of squandering £8m of our money on Maggie's ride to Hell, it registers our protest at her politics..

IanM said:
The woman had more balls than any male PM that I've ever seen.

She screwed a great many people, but at least she told them first.

Ian

She screwed a whole nation with her guinea-pig trial of the poll tax on the people of Scotland!! That's why, to this day there are more pandas in the country than there are Scottish Tory MPs!

Boab said:
Didn't she attend a lot of parties with Jimmy Saville? That's probably worse than Pinochet

Reckon she was aiming for the younger voter

Took the kids down to Chatham dockyard for the tour Carl, what struck me most was how in a very short period of time our yards went from being at the forefront of this industry to bugger all.

I hear "Ding Dong: The Witches Dead" has hit the charts and the beeb are all a quandary; who says young folks don't care anymore, you heard it first hear folks on post 6.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/poll/2013/apr/12/ding-dong-the-witch-is-dead

Probably has more to do with the sheep affect

In fairness to her (not something noticeable thus far ) as one who was affected by the rates revaluation in (I believe) 1985 the community charge or poll tax was introduced early in Scotland against her own views. It was Scots MPs such as (now Sir) M. Forsyth who pushed to bring it in early up here as there was such a wave of disquiet about the truly horrendous valuations for fairly modest homes which that revaluation proposed. Like or dislike that attempted alternative to the rates it was introduced earlier north of the border not to "try out" but because that now endangered species, the Scottish conservatives wanted it.

Just because they wanted it does not mean that it wasn't a 'try it on the Scots first' by Westminster. Fewer seats to lose up there, after all.

Thanks for changing the thread title! How about going one further? Maggie Thatcher is dead! Two further? Hurray! Maggie Thatcher is dead!

Being honest Bro Brechet, one of the many characteristics I've always appreciated about threads in TSR is the way they can gently meander about and around the original subject. So, although we may have travelled a fair way from my original heading I'd be the last to be overly concerned about it.
Far better a wee shade indiscipline in adhering to the subject than a doctrinaire and rigid approach to our discussions I believe.

Dr Rick said:
This whole thread does rather sum up political discussion in general, doesn't it. Nobody's mind is changed, and each side thinks the other immune to facts, logic, and basic human decency.

The most accurate and pertinent post on this thread so far.

Looking forward to the next 12 pages boys...