Lord Crown Red Stripe Blades

Bottom one in the photo and continuing my comparison of Wilki type blades from the Falcon Blade test.
This one is included in the test only because they are reputed to be the same as the old UK Wilkinson Sword blades and made on the old UK equipment.
My own opinion (and any thoughts would be subjective) is that they are not as good in terms of sharpness, however for me the acid test is the longevity.

When I used to DE shave, I always used Wilkis, partly because of availability and partly because they lasted forever - OK in reality it was probably only a week or just over, but my 5 tuck of blades certainly lasted a long time. Of course these days my shaver has changed ( from a UK Souplex open comb to a Ikon Standard Tech head - via a Mach3)

Anyway - two shaves today 12 hours apart mind you. Shave one was at 6am with the first crack of the Crown - good 2 pass and chin touch up. No nicks and no irritation, and felt like a good shave. However by 6pm I had a cracking shadow and the missus was asking had I had a shave today? So I had another shave at 6.30pm, just a 1 pass this time and touch up ( a quickie) and yet again I feel quite happy with the end result - smooth with the grain, very slightly rough against the grain, no irritation post shave and no nicks.

So day one and two shaves and happy with the blade amd price wise this has worked out at about 11p per blade, but I dont really think this is one is going to be as good as an old UK Wilkinson Sword blade.

Day 2 shave 3.
2 pass and chin touch up ( I have a small patch under the chin which is a sod to get first time round). Again, unremarkable shave, felt OK afterwards - this was at 5.30 am as I was on the early start.
By 12pm its feeling rough - not badly rough, but not great. If i was using say a Yellow or a Bleue Extra I would not expect to feel like this until later in the day (teatime).
Im really not sure I want to try for a 4th shave but will do in the name of God, King Harry and The Shaving Room so that others may know whether to spend their hard earned or not.

Very noble of you. Apart from some of the very expensive brands I have decided not to push any blade beyond 3 shaved. Against my own better judgement I'm constantly fanning around with different blades and soaps and razor combinations depending on how I feel that day and a dulling blade is another factor I would like to leave out.

Are these Crowns fairly cheap?

I got in from work quite late last night following a code red and really wasnt in the mood to start shaving again. Im quite glad I didnt as it pushed the blade this morning for some decent growth.

Day 3 - Shave 4 with the Crown.

A bit odd - I had to apply more pressure than I really felt comfortable doing with the Ikon ( I really did think at any point I was going to get a nasty cut), to get a decent shave. Though again today was a 2 pass and touch up ( I used Prof Blightys Lime cream today) - after the shave everything felt very smooth and there was no irritation. Its now 8 hours since the shave and I still feel Ok, no nasty 5 O'clock shadow starting. Its quite possible that the Ikon is not the best razor for these blades.

I'll see how it goes tomorrow with shave 5.

It will be interesting to see how these Crowns perform in the Fatboy when it arrives.

FYI - the Crowns came from eBay.com and worked out at £11 / 100 blades delivered.

Sunday - once again a 2 pass and touch up - again more pressure than I felt comfortable with.
This time though the shave was short lasting and by 2pm i felt rough. I have decided that once the Fat lands Im going to revisit this blade because I do think it will last a long while, but needs the right razor.

Today I broke open a "vintage" Uk Wilkinson.

It was everything I expected. But that needs another thread.

I used one of these in my Fatboy this evening and i have to admit it was a good shave,Fatboy on 3,Vulfix lavender shave cream and limes skin food to finish and my chin feels lovely and smooth,it was a 3 pass and touch up shave.
I think i'm going to get more of these.

Dave.

Back
Top Bottom