Looking to "move on up"

Greetings all,

Been doing some research, as I look to progress from the Wilkinson Sword Classic.

The Merkurs seem to be substantially heavier than the Muhle etc. Is the weight such a big factor?
Parkers appear to be a bit hit & miss, but seem pretty well priced.

I like the look/idea of an open comb. I don't shave every day (don't really need to for work etc) but some of my
stubble is pretty tough to shift, mainly on the neck, so could shave more often than the every 2-3 days to be honest.
Shaving everyday is not out of the question, but as OC's give a potentially closer shave, would shaving with one each day be wise?

Finally; haven't seen a single bad word about the Merker Progress, and the EJ/Muhle head looks a sweet bit of kit :cool:.

I know decision is ultimately mine, any help/advice is really appreciated.

Thommo

There's a lot of good things being said about the R41 at the moment:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://connaughtshaving.com/muhlerazor.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://connaughtshaving.com/muhlerazor.html</a><!-- m -->

You could definitely do a lot worse.

The Merkurs seem to be substantially heavier than the Muhle etc. Is the weight such a big factor?

Yes, the weight/balance of razor can be a large influence.

Shaving everyday is not out of the question, but as OC's give a potentially closer shave, would shaving with one each day be wise?

Shouldn't be a problem, but you will and should be able to shave just as closely with most razors eventually not just an open comb. The teeth on an OC do not make it more aggressive it just looks it.

Finally; haven't seen a single bad word about the Merker Progress, and the EJ/Muhle head looks a sweet bit of kit :cool:.

I'd avoid an adjustable for the moment, something with that EJ/Muhle head should be fine.

Besides the odd poorly made Parker do you see any bad reviews for razors? On the whole shavers adjust adequately to their choice but you may in time develop a preference for a style, size and weight. As this is a leap from a WS Classic, your looking for a better quality razor and the EJ, Muhle and Merkur will do that.

based on personal experience with the R41 I can't recommend it highly enough.I was wary after reading the hype about open comb aggressiveness but realised it was unfounded.The head design suits me very well with regard to being able to get to the hard to reach areas.I find the shave smooth an irritation free.The handle is hollow, which makes the razor feel light initially, but I quickly found that having the weight in the head only improved the shave.Check out my review in the relevant forum section.I now use it exclusively and I know a couple of other members rate it highly.As Tony mentions any of the main brand razors will offer better quality than the classic.Keep us informed though :)

Boab said:
based on personal experience with the R41 I can't recommend it highly enough.I was wary after reading the hype about open comb aggressiveness but realised it was unfounded.The head design suits me very well with regard to being able to get to the hard to reach areas.I find the shave smooth an irritation free.The handle is hollow, which makes the razor feel light initially, but I quickly found that having the weight in the head only improved the shave.Check out my review in the relevant forum section.I now use it exclusively and I know a couple of other members rate it highly.As Tony mentions any of the main brand razors will offer better quality than the classic.Keep us informed though :)

I must agree absolutely 100% with the views expressed about the R41 - Boab put me on to the R41 / Derby combo (albeit indirectly, via his review) and it is extremely impressive!

I shave almost exclusively with OC now. I am very fond of the Merkur 11C also, it steams with either a Derby or (yes!!) a Merkur blade.

Hope this helps the cause?

I got an EJ DE89 at Christmas which is a dream to use and I received a £60 gift token for my Birthday a few days ago. Took me a long time to decide what to do with it but I used some of it to purchase a Merkur 38C.
Its incredible! beautifully made, long handled and although heavy, its so well balanced.
I'll be using it this morning for the first time but i think I'll enjoy the experience.
beejay

Back
Top Bottom