Looking for an aggressive razor (I think)

Hi, I'm new to the forum and also fairly new to traditional shaving. I started out with a simple set, Wilkinson Sword brush and soap and a cheap Boots DE razor.

I have since moved to a set made up of all Edwin Jagger products. This is partly because they are made in the UK but also because they are sold on Amazon for a good price.

I have found that the prep with the Jagger products is far superior however I find the razor, a DE89BL, to be too 'soft'. When I studied the razors the blade hardly sticks out on the Jagger compared to the Boots razor. I do get a closer shave with the cheaper razor however it lacks the aesthetic appeal and reassuring weight that the more expensive razor has.

I would like a razor with the looks and feel of the Jagger but the larger blade exposure and therefore more aggressiveness of the Boots razor... any suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

I've never used an Edwin Jagger razor, so I've no idea how one would compare to the razors I do use. The 'heaviest ' in my arsenal is a Merkur Futur, and given that it is adjustable it can easily be dialled from fairly mild to pretty savage. Even on its mildest setting it is still quite an aggressive razor, though it is quite bulky and took a while to get used to. The others I use include a Fatboy, a Slim Adjustable, a 40's Superspeed and my most recent acquisition, a Gillette Old open-comb. The FB and Slim being adjustable can easily be dialled up to excessively aggressive - something I never do as I quite like a comfortable 2 or 3 pass shave. The Superspeed is super mild, but even so it gives consistently smooth and close shaves. The dark horse is the Old - it is quite a delicate looking razor - small in the hand and quite light - the shave it gives on the other hand is surprisingly aggressive, and with a new Feather in it requires patience and care, in my hands at least.
In short - each razor has its own characteristics and each demand slightly different handling - but each, from the 5 I use at least, shave perfectly and all are a joy to use.
As with most things in life, seldom does one size fit all, so a good razor for one may be crap to the next guy. The only 'useful' suggestion I have is to try a couple of razors to see if you like them - there are a few 'pass round' razors on TSR you could add your name to - or take a chance and buy a couple from eBay or from one of the guys on here - you can always sell them on without losing too much in the transaction.

For aggression, I'd second the Futur or a Progress if you want something more traditional.

Vintage adjustables, in my experience don't do aggressive as good as these. They seem to be more blade fussy to be aggressive and comfortable.

Merkur 34C, it's slightly heavier than the Jagger actually (and a little shorter) but it feels great in the hand and seems to have far more bite.

It's not necessarily down purely to blade gap by the way, someone posted a table of blade gaps a while ago and the 2 are actually not far apart. They couldn't feel more different though.

You could always be really bold and slant things up!

Canuck said:
Merkur 34C, it's slightly heavier than the Jagger actually (and a little shorter) but it feels great in the hand and seems to have far more bite.

It's not necessarily down purely to blade gap by the way, someone posted a table of blade gaps a while ago and the 2 are actually not far apart. They couldn't feel more different though.

You could always be really bold and slant things up!

I'm glad you said that - my two razors are a 34c and Slim, and the Merkur feels much more aggressive than the Slim does on high settings. I'm convinced it's more to do with the angle the blade is presented to the face when the razor is used at the correct cutting angle.

Considered a single edge ? Whilst they're not aggresive in the sense of drawing blood when placed within a couple of inches of your face they certainly will give a close & comfortable finish.

Otherwise I think of a Merkur Slant or perhaps even the new Muehle 41 open comb, which seems to be as aggresive as anyone could desire by all accounts.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

JohnnyO said:
Otherwise I think of a Merkur Slant or perhaps even the new Muehle 41 open comb, which seems to be as aggresive as anyone could desire by all accounts.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

He's right. The new R41 feels much more dangerous than a Slant or even a Futur on a high setting.

Ian

Johnus said:
A spring washer? Please explain.
Johnus

Well it's really no different to being able to open the blade gap on an Old type with a thick vintage blade. Can't do it so easily with thin modern blades because they lack the spring tension so I suggest you try it with one of these under the head.

Maybe you call then something different like lock or coil washers.

http://www.bolts-nuts-washers.com/spring%20washer%20square.htm

Sorry for taking so long to reply... thank you to everybody who has commented.

I don't really like the look of the Merkur Futur or the Progress however I do like the idea of an adjustable razor.

Unfortunately my budget doesn't quite stretch to these razors anyway. I think the choices that leaves me are the Merkur 34C and Muhle R41.

I shave well before any substantial beard develops so there is no need for an open comb. So that leaves me with the Merkur 34C.

I hope it turns out to be a wise choice.

I'm not sure there is any better choice at this price point, and I'm sure you'll be happy with a 34C. It's pretty much THE razor to own at the £30 mark.

I love the finish on Jaggers, and if they were a little more aggressive I think they'd be numero uno current day razors, but somehow Merkur seem to understand angles that bit better. It is tangible.

Jagger for finish and looks.

Merkur for shaving.

I think the 34c would be a wiser choice for you than the R41......they both give a very close shave ...but the r41 can be a vicious beast if you get the angle wrong..........get it right and its beautiful.....I'd save that one for later.

Back
Top Bottom