Looking at my next DE razor.

Well, if you want to "move up", you have to go vintage. Any pre-1950 Gillette will rock your world.
Yep, or go fully stainless steel.
I have vintage Gillettes, and modern stainless (Karve, Timeless, Rocca).
I 'did' have a Muhle R89 for about 2 years and...it rotted away!
Maybe I have hard water here? I don't know.
I did look after the R89 but first the cap threads started to rot away and when I sent a photo to Muhle they sent me a new cap (all the way to New Zealand...so that's great customer service).
After another few months went by I noticed the R89 baseplate was looking sad too. The dreaded zamac rot had got into the baseplate too (around the central hole so probably caused by the original problem of the rotting cap threaded post?).
So these days I don't waste my time or money on zamac razors. No matter how good they look they will finally die, although there is the odd vintage zamac razor that still shows up that looks absolutely splendid still.
Maybe better zamac recipe back then, or the razor has been a shave den queen?

Well hi all,
My amazing wife just shouted me and told me that Agent Shave has a clearance sale.
Just acquired myself a Muhle R89 for 29 quid.
Got the best wife ever I'm thinking.

And a great choice. Just can't go wrong with them. I've had one for nigh on 7 years and never showed any signs of rotting away. Like anything else, look after it clean it, and it will last a life time. A classic

You may want to consider a heavier handle at some point but enjoy it for what it is until you feel you might want to arse about a bit.

My personal blade for the 89 is a Feather. May not be the pick of the crop but it just seems to pair really well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom