Looking after a razor

I am in the process of acquiring a HD Rocket and Aristocrat.

As I have mentioned I currently have a tried and tested plastic razor.

As the two new razors are metal, what is the best method to store and look after them?
In a case or in a drawer or in a razor stand?

Also anyone recommend a case for the above models?

Many thanks is advance.

Clean your razor every day/week/blade change/month/year/time it needs it (depends on the level of gunk you get - I get very little in a month with the soft water here, got loads in a single shave in "that Lundun") using a toothbrush (and toothpaste surprisingly) - don't let it sit "wet" for any longer than necessary. Buy 15 more razors so they all get a rest :ugeek:

hunnymonster said:
Clean your razor every day/week/blade change/month/year/time it needs it (depends on the level of gunk you get - I get very little in a month with the soft water here, got loads in a single shave in "that Lundun") using a toothbrush (and toothpaste surprisingly) - don't let it sit "wet" for any longer than necessary. Buy 15 more razors so they all get a rest :ugeek:
I got some Brasso polish from Sainsbury's for my 38C. All nice and sparkly now.

NotTheStig said:
I got some Brasso polish from Sainsbury's for my 38C. All nice and sparkly now.

In the short term and used very occasionally, Brasso will do no visible harm. Longer term it will remove the plating and expose the base metal beneath (which is Zamak for Merkurs I think). If you must use a polish, use a mild one (Silvo - the "new" name for Duraglit is recommended for EPNS - another concoction that Brasso will strip in short order).

Hi Homes, best cleaned pre owned razor I've ever had came from Sunbury on this forum. I believe he cleans up his kit with soapy & water plus an ultrasonic device. If your razor(s) are clean when you get them they should be very easily maintained just with soapy water & as has been suggested a toothbrush. I give mine a rub with non abrasive bees wax when I cease using them in rotation. On daily use I just loosed them off, run them under hot water, shake dry & leave them on the shelf till tommorrow (what the heck, they're razors designed to be used in & out of water).

JohnnyO. :geek:

I give my razor a clean with some none abraisive stuff for my car with added carnauba. I find the carnauba makes it a tad easier to clean too.

I use this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/poorboys-polish-with-carnauba-wax-blue.php?manufacturers_id=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/poorboys- ... rers_id=16</a><!-- m -->

After hearing horror stories about Merkur plating over on B&B i'm playing it safe by using the above.

MAAS is a very good polish but pricey; I have never seen anything that lifts the grime like MAAS. Silvo is much better value for money and another good one you could use is Solvol Autosol (widely available in Halfords or car care shops - maybe even Tesco although not 100% sure). Solvol is slightly dearer than Silvo but as it is in a paste form I find it slightly easier to work with than the liquid Silvo, I have it for the car so no need for me to go buy any specifically.

It is usually one of these three I would use, I agree with HM that Brasso is too harsh for plated metal, best bet long term is Silvo or Autosol.

Apart from that just clean when it looks as if it need a clean, you will see a film start to build, then it is time. I use each razor for a week with two blades and after that I clean it and rotate it with another razor. I find it an easy routine to keep.

I rince them, take out the blade, rince some more.

When I change blade, I usually change razor, the dirty one gets clean in a hot water & vinegar solution (2/3 - 1/3), good rince, If they need polishing I use a toothbrush and toothpaste, makes them nice and shiny!

This is the method I use when I get new ones too, If I'm working I'll throw them in the "decontamination baths" we have at work for 5-10 min

Max

I clean my razors with a quick squirt with bathroom cleaner and a rinse. The bottle claims to "remove soap residue and limescale". What else do you need? Makes my razors nice and shiny anyway!

Dipesh said:
I give my razor a clean with some none abraisive stuff for my car with added carnauba. I find the carnauba makes it a tad easier to clean too.

I use this:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/poorboys-polish-with-carnauba-wax-blue.php?manufacturers_id=16" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.elitecarcare.co.uk/poorboys- ... rers_id=16</a><!-- m -->

After hearing horror stories about Merkur plating over on B&B i'm playing it safe by using the above.
Thanks for everyone's advice about Brasso. I tried to get some medicinal alcohol from Boots but they didn't do any bottles - just wipes at £1.80 EACH. That's when I got the Brasso.
I'll try to get hold of some milder stuff - as I've only used it once hopefully the plating will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom