Loft Find

Popped up into the loft at mum & dads old house today.
In dads army trunk I was looking for an old Ferguson radio (found THAT in the eletricity meter cupboard!)
Anyway came across one of these:-
70de2b02.jpg

looks lethal!

Also came across a pile of photos of the TSR-2 that dad took whilst working on the project.
149742_162651300441421_100000896553196_306497_781490_n.jpg

Those new aircraft carriers our govt has ordered but that will never be pressed into service are reminiscent of the TSR2. A fabulous waste of taxpayer's money.

Nice razor - are you going to try it?

Gillette Techmatic, probably the first "cartridge razor" gillette made.
I've got one that was pifed to me from the greek. (who else?)
Shame you can't get new cartridges for it.

Wikipedia said:
In 1965 Gillette introduced the Techmatic razor which utilized a cartridge with a steel strip that could be wound forward to expose a fresh section of new blade.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uqMREFeWJsA[/youtube]

Your one is not the adjustable, so it's probably late 60's

Max

My dad produced one of those Techmatics last time I saw him, which brought the memories flooding back. I didn't think it looked like a good prospect for shaving with, but definitely an interesting item.

IanM said:
Techmatic is a nice find, but quite frankly, I'm more impressed with the TSR-2.

Ian

“ All modern aircraft have four dimensions: span, length, height and politics. TSR-2 simply got the first three right. ”

— Sir Sydney Camm

FT, what are your dad's thoughts on the whole TSR2 fiasco - seeing as he was involved in its development? He surely must have seen it as a fabulous missed opportunity.

Don't know how much of it was in the public domain at the time but the powers that be were in a mighty hurry to bury the whole thing - using airframes for target practice and destroying the tooling pretty quickly.

Dad (now departed of this mortal coil) was very angry that the TSR-2 was binned, as were a lot of the engineers who worked on it.
He used to speak highly of the technological advances of the plane, was present when it made its maiden flight and was instrumental in the design of the hydraulics (also worked on the Lightning and the Jaguar and Tornado - and to a lesser extent the EAP before he retired - his speciality was hydraulics).
Prior to BAC he worked for Sharps Commercials (Bond Minicar anyone?) and was a medic in the army, though his first love always was engineering.

I remember seeing bits of a TSR2 in the scrapyard where my cousin worked in the early 70s. They were a few miles from Boscombe Down and had an MOD contract, I also remember preferring the old Centurions and Ferrets to play in :D

Father Ted said:
Dad (now departed of this mortal coil) was very angry that the TSR-2 was binned, as were a lot of the engineers who worked on it.
He used to speak highly of the technological advances of the plane, was present when it made its maiden flight and was instrumental in the design of the hydraulics (also worked on the Lightning and the Jaguar and Tornado - and to a lesser extent the EAP before he retired - his speciality was hydraulics).
Prior to BAC he worked for Sharps Commercials (Bond Minicar anyone?) and was a medic in the army, though his first love always was engineering.

Yep, for a more prominent example of industrial clout having more say/power/backhanders to government in selling a totally floored item whilst better designs and platforms where available look no further than the Lockheed F-104 Starfighter.

Back
Top Bottom