Local Pottery Bowls

I decided to pop into the local potters shop in Bideford to see what was on offer today. I found a nice bowl, which I'm picking up tomorrow at a bargain price of £4.75. They don't accept card payments in store. It's only a small shop with a display of smaller works downstairs and large pitchers and his wheel upstairs.

I then got speaking to the person in the shop. I'm going back also tomorrow and they are going to commission a piece for me. I'm going for a bowl with a spider web design inside to aid lathering. They seem to recon on charging a little over £5 for it.

This is the place http://www.bidefordpottery.co.uk they don't really sell on line but can send via mail order. He's quite a renowned pottery, most of the stuff is made with the yellow and brown glazes, something that Bideford and the potter has a name for. Obviously postage for others would add a bit but that's a really good price in my opinion.

They seem very willing to make small bowls with spider webs or finger grooves. Mine will take around three weeks and when I have it I'll post a picture on here.

Pottery is great value. Like everything, quality varies. I have seen suitable bowls at our local market for less than a fiver. My own bowl was made to spec by another local potter for £12 - a more substantial piece, but still great value.

Mr_Smartepants said:
A decent lather bowl can have a profound effect on the lather produced.
£5 is a brilliant price if it works out OK.
Since you're local, you may inadvertently become the focal point for a group-buy. ;)

I was thinking it may even be a case of a limited edition TSR bowl. We will see how it goes.

When staying at the utterly wonderful Tom Cobley Tavern in Spreyton, came across http://www.spreytonpottery.co.uk/about-us just opposite the pub. Ross is a great guy & sold me a small bowl for less than a fiver - slightly ridged on the inside, a small pouring lip (ideal for resting a laden brush) & a perfect fit into my left hand. SWMBO said it's lovely, but what will we use it for?

+++pause+++

+++sigh & roll of the eyes+++

Back from the potters.

Purchased this one. Just until my commission piece comes.

[attachment=11096]
[attachment=11097]

4 cm high
10.5 cm across

Mine will be thicker with a spider web inside.
Mine will be in the traditional Bideford yellow and also 5 cm high.

Approx two to three weeks and £6.75 due to being thicker and taller. Oh and no handle so it sits in the hand. Bargain I think.

They seem very interested to make a while batch. So more to follow.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404472928.450574.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404472928.450574.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 141
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404472949.568644.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404472949.568644.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 191
I'd be interested too. I've got a fine Dirty-Bird lather bowl but it can be a bit big.
I like the handle, mine has that too and it's convenient to loop my thumb over it since the bowl can get a bit slippy.
Mine is glazed inside & out. I think leaving the outside unglazed would help a lot with the grip.

Back
Top Bottom