Local Pottery Bowls

I decided to pop into the local potters shop in Bideford to see what was on offer today. I found a nice bowl, which I'm picking up tomorrow at a bargain price of £4.75. They don't accept card payments in store. It's only a small shop with a display of smaller works downstairs and large pitchers and his wheel upstairs.

I then got speaking to the person in the shop. I'm going back also tomorrow and they are going to commission a piece for me. I'm going for a bowl with a spider web design inside to aid lathering. They seem to recon on charging a little over £5 for it.

This is the place http://www.bidefordpottery.co.uk they don't really sell on line but can send via mail order. He's quite a renowned pottery, most of the stuff is made with the yellow and brown glazes, something that Bideford and the potter has a name for. Obviously postage for others would add a bit but that's a really good price in my opinion.

They seem very willing to make small bowls with spider webs or finger grooves. Mine will take around three weeks and when I have it I'll post a picture on here.

Pottery is great value. Like everything, quality varies. I have seen suitable bowls at our local market for less than a fiver. My own bowl was made to spec by another local potter for £12 - a more substantial piece, but still great value.

A decent lather bowl can have a profound effect on the lather produced.
£5 is a brilliant price if it works out OK.
Since you're local, you may inadvertently become the focal point for a group-buy. ;)

Mr_Smartepants said:
A decent lather bowl can have a profound effect on the lather produced.
£5 is a brilliant price if it works out OK.
Since you're local, you may inadvertently become the focal point for a group-buy. ;)

I was thinking it may even be a case of a limited edition TSR bowl. We will see how it goes.

When staying at the utterly wonderful Tom Cobley Tavern in Spreyton, came across http://www.spreytonpottery.co.uk/about-us just opposite the pub. Ross is a great guy & sold me a small bowl for less than a fiver - slightly ridged on the inside, a small pouring lip (ideal for resting a laden brush) & a perfect fit into my left hand. SWMBO said it's lovely, but what will we use it for?

+++pause+++

+++sigh & roll of the eyes+++

Back from the potters.

Purchased this one. Just until my commission piece comes.

[attachment=11096]
[attachment=11097]

4 cm high
10.5 cm across

Mine will be thicker with a spider web inside.
Mine will be in the traditional Bideford yellow and also 5 cm high.

Approx two to three weeks and £6.75 due to being thicker and taller. Oh and no handle so it sits in the hand. Bargain I think.

They seem very interested to make a while batch. So more to follow.

Attachments

• ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404472928.450574.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404472928.450574.jpg
    247.5 KB · Views: 141
  • ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404472949.568644.jpg
    ImageUploadedByTapatalk1404472949.568644.jpg
    316.4 KB · Views: 191
Used the pictured bowl this morning, best bowl I've used. It will benefit being slightly taller and of course the spiders web will add to the experience. But the bowl size and shape fit so nice in the hand.

I'd be interested too. I've got a fine Dirty-Bird lather bowl but it can be a bit big.
I like the handle, mine has that too and it's convenient to loop my thumb over it since the bowl can get a bit slippy.
Mine is glazed inside & out. I think leaving the outside unglazed would help a lot with the grip.

Back
Top Bottom