Leather Boots Polish or Dubbin or both or Dressing ??

Good evening gentleman, i bought myself some nice Brown Leather Boots a while back to wear during the winter...

As the weather is getting cold and gloomy and wet etc etc, after cleaning the boots, is a drop of polish and a buff enough to protect, or should i add some Dubbin after the Polish and Buffing, or will the polish suffice...?

Also know there are some nice Dressing Nourishing type products available too............any good ?? are they needed ??

just want to keep them in good condition and looking smart, whilst adding some type of waterproofing....

Cheers chaps

Steve

good old dubbing,(let it soak in for a few days) and then boot polish man myself, if after a quick fix then :blush: its out with that kiwi liquid shoe polish. it's ok but not as good as the old school way.

Steve, I can't recommend the stuff you get from Lakeland enough, it's superb. I've used it on my main dealer boots which are my normal daily wear & they are still fine 3 years on. The stuff is called Urad and comes in a tub with a sponge which you use to put a small amount on & wipe over. That's it, nothing else to do, dries in about 30 seconds & your boots will look showroom fresh! Only snag is that it costs about £9 but will last a long time.

Don't take it hand luggage through the airport otherwise the miserable devils will confiscate it!

I use dubbin solely on my everyday boots and don't bother with polish.

workbooks i don't bother, they are scratched to hell after about 2 months and scratches in leather that no amount of polish will cover.

Get some wax Steve, in fact pm your address and i will send you some.
Get the hair drier out and warm up your shoes, rub the wax onto the leather and heat again with hair drier until wax melts into leather. Totally waterproofs your shoes and nourishes them.

For coloured boots I use Angelus wax polish Steve, for straightforward protection I use Granger's G wax. Both have carnauba wax content & I've used the Grangers on horse tack in the past with gr8 results. Just work either well in, leave for 20 minutes or so & buff off. You should get good protection with a reasonable shine. (If you're really keen you can even spit n polish the top coats with the Angelus).

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Just use polish, but avoid brushes for applying as they don't put enough on; instead use a damp cloth to apply a good amount, working it in circles. Leave for a short while then buff up with a soft dry cloth or brush.

Canuck said:
Just use polish, but avoid brushes for applying as they don't put enough on; instead use a damp cloth to apply a good amount, working it in circles. Leave for a short while then buff up with a soft dry cloth or brush.

thanks for that tip

It's one half of the "bulling" technique much loved by the military for god knows how long.
If you follow it through fully, using a wet cloth in circles to finish, then repeating both steps to build up layers, you end up with mirrors.
But Steve is a mere civvy and would look daft with bulled boots, so half measures it should be. ;-)

Canuck said:
It's one half of the "bulling" technique much loved by the military for god knows how long.
If you follow it through fully, using a wet cloth in circles to finish, then repeating both steps to build up layers, you end up with mirrors.
But Steve is a mere civvy and would look daft with bulled boots, so half measures it should be. ;-)

you should see where i work

we are discourage from polishing boots

quite a few people here have holes in front of boots so you can see the steel toecaps

plus they only shave once in a bluemoon.

boots dont stay clean till 9am here so i tend to put stuff on more to waterproof/protect them than to look good

I guess you're not hiking for miles around the fens of West London subjecting your boots to extreme wet n dry in which case the leather will tell you if it eventually needs a feed. Keep 'em clean and a good application of polish will do and bare in mind that military techniques are as much about occupying time.

I always Nikwax or similar round anywhere that a) needs to be flexible, tongue, ankle creases or b) needs proper proofing, stitching, the join with the sole. Rub it in with a thin cloth so finger warmth softens, let it dry and rub off any excess. Then polish the bejesus out of them! Parade gloss is a good one - I find the wax going on first lets you still get a nice shine and the polish needs renewing more often anyway.
Always used this method for breaking in 2nd hand Para boots - wax them three times in the first week but polish them every day.
Got a brand new pair of MkV Para's coming for Crimbo I think it'll take more than a week to break those in but I'm looking forward to it?!?

Canuck said:
as an ex guardsman this is mostly true

Back
Top Bottom