Last bit that's causing me trouble

I'm a couple of months into straight shaving (twice a week) and I'm getting good shaves now however there is a patch below jaw line which grows in a swirl on each side of my throat. With a DE I do some diagonal passes then horizontal from out side to in to get it smooth. That along with J hooking and blade buffing.

However I can't get my hands and neck into a position to make a horizontal pass and I don't think attempting J-hooking or blade buffing with a straight is wise. One thing which catches part of the area is pulling the skin up as high as possible which gets part of it onto the jaw line, where I can do a horizontal pass, but it still leaves a portion below which I cant reach.

Any advice? I've pretty much sorted out what works for the rest of my face its just this last remaining bit which is frustrating me.

I'm the same Jeltz - awkward patch just to one side under my chin. It can generally be nailed by buffing, if I can be bothered, but there's no against the grain stroke available to me not matter what contortions I attempt: that area is too concave.

I´ve got the same problem and for me it´s the same as Andy, if I buff it works, but most often I don´t bother. But it buggs me :evil: :lol:

That's an awkward place for a lot of us.

Skin stretching helps, but in some cases is counter-productive - if you stretch the skin in front of the line of growth, the hairs lay down rather then stand up. Stretching the skin between thumb and forefinger and feeling with the index finger of the hand you shave with should give you an idea of how the stubble lies - unfortunately in problem areas it tends to adopt the 'casual approach' and lies at all sorts of angles. That being the case, a series of short swooping cuts at various angles may help - like scything a meadow. Short and flowing - not chopping.

You could also try shaving that area first - before your skin gets too warmed-up and the stubble recedes behind the flesh. Alternatively, just after your last stroke (calm down, cheesedave, I can feel the rejoinder already!) put a cold flannel to the skin for a few moments to help retract the skin and give it another go. If that doesn't help you may have to consider a more manoeuverable blade - 4/8 - or an extra hollow grind. Sometimes it just takes time, so persevere! Or deem it a feature...

Regards,
Neil

Blimey Neil, that's a comprehensive set of suggestions. I'll try the shave it first and cold flannel methods and report back. I do find a narrower razor tends to do better in that area, or one with big smile... so if you come by a full hollow 4/8 with a cheesy grin, I'd be interested, I suppose.

Back
Top Bottom