Lapping paper?

Hi All,

want to take my straights to the next level but don't really want to go down the hone rabbit hole.

Looking to get 1 and 0.3 micron lapping sheets but can only seem to find packs of various grades.

Where is the best place to get 10-20 sheets of just the 1 and 0.3?

Also, should I go for adhesive or non adhesive?

I've already prepared 8 granite stones, perfect razor size, to lay the paper.

Cheap, and *exactly* the film you need really. I bought these a couple months ago and I haven't looked back, I get perfect mirror finish, very smooth shave.
I start finishing with the "12k" chinese hard stone I got from theinvisibleedge, then put the 3 micron film on top of that stone (it provides a really nice grippy surface, already wet!), then switch to the 1 micron yellow film.
You can reuse the film. I cut each sheet into 4 pieces, and I'm still on my second 'set' of pink/yellow, and really, the first set was damaged due to me being a plonker about it.

Good boy. Thanks for that.
Well Done Hug GIF by The Animal Crackers Movie

Cheap, and *exactly* the film you need really. I bought these a couple months ago and I haven't looked back, I get perfect mirror finish, very smooth shave.
I start finishing with the "12k" chinese hard stone I got from theinvisibleedge, then put the 3 micron film on top of that stone (it provides a really nice grippy surface, already wet!), then switch to the 1 micron yellow film.
You can reuse the film. I cut each sheet into 4 pieces, and I'm still on my second 'set' of pink/yellow, and really, the first set was damaged due to me being a plonker about it.
OMG.Another rabbit hole.
Ok, i've got a 12k stone, which is good for touching up but thought i'd step it up to the 1 micron (about the same as the 12k stone) then progress to a 0.3 micron to hopefully take it to the next level. (0.3 micron being sort of equivalent to 16k).
But from what you are saying, you go from a 12k stone to a 8k (equivalent) lapping film then back to a 12k (equivalent) lapping film. Or have I been reading the micron/grit charts wrong?

I'm not sure that the 12K stone I have *is* 12K... it's more like 10 -- and it's very flat, so is a good support.

And that pink film (to me) looks a lot finer than that 12K anyway. The yellow film (1m) gives you a perfect mirror finish, from what I've seen online, 0.3 micron might actually be *detrimental* to the edge at that point (it gets too harsh), people often recommend pasted balsa as a next 'step' if you want to go further.

Try these two films, I swear you will be amazed... I did all the research for exactly the same reason as you do, a couple months ago, and I'm currently super satisfied with the edges I've got -- and that for very, very little money :)

I'm not sure that the 12K stone I have *is* 12K... it's more like 10 -- and it's very flat, so is a good support.

And that pink film (to me) looks a lot finer than that 12K anyway. The yellow film (1m) gives you a perfect mirror finish, from what I've seen online, 0.3 micron might actually be *detrimental* to the edge at that point (it gets too harsh), people often recommend pasted balsa as a next 'step' if you want to go further.

Try these two films, I swear you will be amazed... I did all the research for exactly the same reason as you do, a couple months ago, and I'm currently super satisfied with the edges I've got -- and that for very, very little money :)
On your head be it!!!!:)
Just to make sure then. Progression will be 12k stone, 3 micron film, finish with 1 micron film.

Yep, If I'm setting up a 'new' razor I use the Norton 4K/8K, that invisibleedge stone, then pink then yellow film.

To 'touch up' I can just use the yellow film really. Try it out, I was really amazed when I looked with the loupe :)

Yep, If I'm setting up a 'new' razor I use the Norton 4K/8K, that invisibleedge stone, then pink then yellow film.

To 'touch up' I can just use the yellow film really. Try it out, I was really amazed when I looked with the loupe :)
Cheers mate, i'll report back once i've ordered and and refreshed the blades. Probably Christmas time.

Back
Top Bottom