Lanolin soaps

I've used Mitchells Wool Fat a few times now and think I must have a lanolin intollerance as it's left me with blotchy skin.

Do any of the other popular soaps contain lanolin in the same levels as MWF - so that I can avoid them?

Soaps with lanolin (or a lanolin derivative) include J&E Atkinsons I Coloniali, the Dovo soft soaps, Acca Kappa 1869 in the tub, Fiori i Frutta and Institut Karité. Don't know if the concentrations are higher or lower than MWF, though.

But since MWF (in the ingredients list) lists lanolin after the fragrance components, the concentration of lanolin in MWF shouldn't be very high.

Attention: you skin's reaction could be due to the lanolin. Or could be due to another component, e.g. from the fragrance.

oversaturn said:
Soaps with lanolin (or a lanolin derivative) include J&E Atkinsons I Coloniali, the Dovo soft soaps, Acca Kappa 1869 in the tub, Fiori i Frutta and Institut Karité. Don't know if the concentrations are higher or lower than MWF, though.

But since MWF (in the ingredients list) lists lanolin after the fragrance components, the concentration of lanolin in MWF shouldn't be very high.

Attention: you skin's reaction could be due to the lanolin. Or could be due to another component, e.g. from the fragrance.

Thanks for the information. I have quite a range of soaps but none in the lists above and MWF is the only one that has given me problems - so I'm guessing that it's the lanolin.

Could be due to other ingredients in MWF soap, Rob. I've been using glycerin soaps quite happily for weeks but then got a blotchy face with an Isle of Wight brand within three days of using it.

Finally thought of Benydryl lotion last evening and it cleared up the mess in no time at all - except for peeling cheeks this morning. Good stuff!

antdad said:
^^^ I agree, I'd perhaps try one more product containing lanolin before discounting it.

Yes good idea Antdad - does anyone have a sample of any of the produsts listed in post #5 that I could try? Pm me if you would - I'll cover the postage or send something in return if preferred.

Also might depend what form of lanolin is used, IK uses lanolate rather (MWFs) pure lanolin and I don't recall many complaints of a poor reaction where IK is concerned.

antdad said:
Also might depend what form of lanolin is used, IK uses lanolate rather (MWFs) pure lanolin and I don't recall many complaints of a poor reaction where IK is concerned.

That's interesting - all I could find on the web are references to Isopropyl lanolate - which is made from lanolin so maybe is more a question of the concentration within the product.

The Creed soaps are also made with lanolin.

I should add that my skin can't tolerate MWF either - I either break out or get ingrown hairs everywhere, despite my normal / regular prep. I can't tolerate Musgo Real cream either, so it must be the lanolin.

Having said that, the Creed soaps work a treat on my face and they give me fairly close shaves. I love my Original vetiver soap - it's my Sunday soap where I have a good three days' growth to take off. Could it be that this has less lanolin than the others above?

Back
Top Bottom