Lands End to John O'groats Challenge Distance Record

This morning - 27.4Km

Total - 795.0Km

And a short ride this evening simply because being 5Km short of 800 annoyed me. There is something very psychological about 800 for me.

This evening - 7.9Km

Total - 802.9Km

Boring, but the road in to Little Crosby. Nice to have some leafy lanes on a warm day like this.

20220828_114140.jpg

20220828_114130.jpg

Last edited:
Can't even remember the last time I had a puncture.

So you can probably guess what happened next... Managed to find a piece of glass perfectly shaped like an arrowhead. Even Marathon Mondials couldn't resist that. Easy to fix though.

Soon I was on the move again passing by the ruins of Eglinton castle.
Eglinton castle.png

It was a lovely, sunny day on Saturday. One of the last summer days of the year so I had decided to make the most of it with a ride to Ardrossan harbour and back.

calmac ferry.png

The cycle path tracks the coast much of the way. Arran is always in view, on the horizon.Arran.png

On the way home passing through Irvine harbour. The Kyles is the oldest surviving Clyde-built ship dating back to 1850.
kyles.png

Light was fading fast and soon I'm engulfed in darkness, charging forwards into a narrow funnel of light from a headtorch beam.

All the wildlife starts to come out after twilight. Saw a fox. Dozens of rabbits scattering out of my path. Twice a bat dipped down into my headtorch beam and flew along with me a little way. Since moths have an instinct to fly towards a light I guess bats have an instinct to put the light behind them and fly away from it, with their mouths open.

A long ride: 95km but no climbing to speak of on the flat cycle paths.

Total distance: 608km. Total climbed: 1,407m

Today - 37.0Km

Total - 839.9Km

Apologies if this is reading like a blow by blow report (which it is), but just feel I have get it down as much for a personal record.

Today started with a 15 mile ride out with Mrs Satanfriendly at a much more sedate pace than my usual frantic madness, and included tea and toast at Formby. Followed by another 8 miles this evening because you can.

20220830_190018.jpg

The River Alt. One of five rivers which flow in to Liverpool Bay. We do have a few more than just the Mersey.

20220830_185959.jpg

The Alt estuary. Not the world's biggest estuary but it is of local interest.

I often pass here and as far as I can make out the patch of water to the left looks like it might have been harbour at some point. I assume it must have weathered and washed away as it would have been strange and only usable at low to mid tide. Oddly though there is nothing to be found as to what it actually was. There is a small marina further up river at Hightown but that is only for small craft and yachts and drys out at low water.

Last edited:
A bit of a catch up here

Thursday - 20.9Km (Cycle)

Friday - 4.8Km (Walk around Beverley)

Saturday - 3.2Km (Walk around York)
25.7Km (Cycle)

Total - 915.4Km

Over in the Yorkshire Wolds at the moment and enjoying the different landscape.

20220903_175609.jpg

The old railway track from Market Weighton to Beverley which is now a public bridleway. Well trodden and well loved locally.

20220903_184355.jpg

The reason we held on to my father's place when he passed away last year instead of taking the 'fast buck' option. Far more rewarding and valuable. Nothing but fields to take in along the old rail route.

Have a different bike this side in a Specialized Globe. Far more rugged (and comfortable) for the local terrain.

Today - 37.0Km

Total - 839.9Km

Apologies if this is reading like a blow by blow report (which it is), but just feel I have get it down as much for a personal record.

Today started with a 15 mile ride out with Mrs Satanfriendly at a much more sedate pace than my usual frantic madness, and included tea and toast at Formby. Followed by another 8 miles this evening because you can.

View attachment 92661

The River Alt. One of five rivers which flow in to Liverpool Bay. We do have a few more than just the Mersey.

View attachment 92662

The Alt estuary. Not the world's biggest estuary but it is of local interest.

I often pass here and as far as I can make out the patch of water to the left looks like it might have been harbour at some point. I assume it must have weathered and washed away as it would have been strange and only usable at low to mid tide. Oddly though there is nothing to be found as to what it actually was. There is a small marina further up river at Hightown but that is only for small craft and yachts and drys out at low water.
Well done Chris, putting some miles behind you and some great pictures too!

Paul.

Thank you Paul. You probably know the old rail track yourself. Although it does miss the pie Emporium by a few miles.

85K to go. I'm happy. Perhaps so more as pushing towards 62. Nice to be old and not be old.
85k will be like a walk in the park after all the miles you've done! Well done to you and all.

Paul.

Been slacking off for the past week but maybe my holiday plans will make up for it. In October I'm planning a cycle trip from Newyork to Moscow.

First I'll head off to Oban and spend some time exploring the area: Loch Etive, Loch Awe, Bridge of Orchy then on to the Newyork-Moscow run. With good weather, it should only take three days.

And that is it

20220909_135031.jpg

Started the riding day with.... yet another puncture. At least noticed before I set off so nice quick repair. Needed 25Km to complete the 10K and got 28.9Km.

Today - 28.9Km

Total 1003.9Km

20220909_135042.jpg

Looking the opposite direction and one of the 100 'Iron men' statues being a part of the Anthony Gormley installation art exhibition along the local beach.

What next? Continue I guess as still need to do so for this diabetes prevention program.

Very pleased though and the highlight of my day

And that is it

View attachment 93137

Started the riding day with.... yet another puncture. At least noticed before I set off so nice quick repair. Needed 25Km to complete the 10K and got 28.9Km.

Today - 28.9Km

Total 1003.9Km

View attachment 93138

Looking the opposite direction and one of the 100 'Iron men' statues being a part of the Anthony Gormley installation art exhibition along the local beach.

What next? Continue I guess as still need to do so for this diabetes prevention program.

Very pleased though and the highlight of my day
Well done Chris, a fantastic achievement.
World Champion Win GIF by Play Sports

Back
Top Bottom