Lambada Athena Dury’s Out

Mike Smart

Supporter
Supporter
This Razor needs no introduction,
Just about everyone on here has heard of it.
When i first seen it i decided i didn’t want it,
Not because i don’t want this particular Razor but i had made my mind up i didn’t want anything modern.
18 months later it was still in my mind,
i still liked the look, but again i dismissed it,
Then a few of the guys on here starting buying them and it renewed my interest,
I decided i’d bite the bullet & get one but luckily or unluckily for me there was none in stock & there was a waiting list.
I then decided i didn’t want it enough to merit my name on a waiting list.
A few weeks later it appeared on the BST & i snapped it up.
My first impressions were a well made, very heavy Razor,
To the eye it was pleasing, possibly the best looking razor i own,
Not the most expensive but certainly up their with the best looking.
The Razor itself is well made,
i could say a dream razor for some.
The box is also well made,
Which made me think about cost,
Yes it looks superb but i’m buying a razor & the box has definitely added cost, i can’t quite get my head round whether it’s a worthwhile cost,
but i reckon it’s put a good few quid on to the razor, a few quid that didn’t need to be spent really.
Which got me thinking would i have initially liked the razor if it wasn’t in the box & the answer is probably not,
The whole package of this razor is the reason most buy it i would assume.
My first use of it wasn’t as pleasant as i had hoped.
i was advised by a few to go with a Feather which i did & it’s a blade i like anyway so it made sense.
On first stroke i was disappointed i could tell it’s not my usual good shave however i persevered, it actually felt & sounded quite tinny the same sort of sound i get from my cheap vintage. i felt XTG was tuggy, again i persevered and put it down to a duff blade, so not a great experience on my first outing.
Second Shave i decided to use the
Mustad Blade, a blade i’m very fond of i know it well.
At first i had a slight difficulty getting it in place,
I say difficulty but it still only took a few seconds but more fiddly than it should have been,
I actually had to push it in place a bit,
Again the shave wasn’t anywhere near what i’m used to.
Iv come to the conclusion that either the razor isn’t as well made as i though it was,
i’m doing something wrong with blade alignment
Or perhaps it’s just one of these Razors i don’t get on with.
Time will tell
but so far 2 very disappointing shaves with a razor that offered so much

IMG_1083.jpegIMG_1086.jpegIMG_1085.jpegIMG_1084.jpeg

This Razor needs no introduction,
Just about everyone on here has heard of it.
When i first seen it i decided i didn’t want it,
Not because i don’t want this particular Razor but i had made my mind up i didn’t want anything modern.
18 months later it was still in my mind,
i still liked the look, but again i dismissed it,
Then a few of the guys on here starting buying them and it renewed my interest,
I decided i’d bite the bullet & get one but luckily or unluckily for me there was none in stock & there was a waiting list.
I then decided i didn’t want it enough to merit my name on a waiting list.
A few weeks later it appeared on the BST & i snapped it up.
My first impressions were a well made, very heavy Razor,
To the eye it was pleasing, possibly the best looking razor i own,
Not the most expensive but certainly up their with the best looking.
The Razor itself is well made,
i could say a dream razor for some.
The box is also well made,
Which made me think about cost,
Yes it looks superb but i’m buying a razor & the box has definitely added cost, i can’t quite get my head round whether it’s a worthwhile cost,
but i reckon it’s put a good few quid on to the razor, a few quid that didn’t need to be spent really.
Which got me thinking would i have initially liked the razor if it wasn’t in the box & the answer is probably not,
The whole package of this razor is the reason most buy it i would assume.
My first use of it wasn’t as pleasant as i had hoped.
i was advised by a few to go with a Feather which i did & it’s a blade i like anyway so it made sense.
On first stroke i was disappointed i could tell it’s not my usual good shave however i persevered, it actually felt & sounded quite tinny the same sort of sound i get from my cheap vintage. i felt XTG was tuggy, again i persevered and put it down to a duff blade, so not a great experience on my first outing.
Second Shave i decided to use the
Mustad Blade, a blade i’m very fond of i know it well.
At first i had a slight difficulty getting it in place,
I say difficulty but it still only took a few seconds but more fiddly than it should have been,
I actually had to push it in place a bit,
Again the shave wasn’t anywhere near what i’m used to.
Iv come to the conclusion that either the razor isn’t as well made as i though it was,
i’m doing something wrong with blade alignment
Or perhaps it’s just one of these Razors i don’t get on with.
Time will tell
but so far 2 very disappointing shaves with a razor that offered so much

View attachment 106376View attachment 106377View attachment 106378View attachment 106379
Interesting, what is the mustard blade?

It is a heavy razor and I found that I had to adapt how I shave with it because normally I don't like or use heavy razor's so absolute zero pressure needed, please don't think I'm teaching you how to suck eggs, I'm not at all.

Yes I agree that if this razor was supplied in a cardboard box it would not do the razor justice, it's a very well made razor that deserves to be housed in a box as well made.

Don't write it off after only two shave's but maybe it's not for you, only you can decide that, there are plenty of razors that I would not be happy using, horse's for courses I guess.
Give it a chance and if you decide it's not for you then move it on and makes someone's day. :)

Paul.

It is a heavy razor and I found that I had to adapt how I shave with it because normally I don't like or use heavy razor's so absolute zero pressure needed, please don't think I'm teaching you how to suck eggs, I'm not at all.

Yes I agree that if this razor was supplied in a cardboard box it would not do the razor justice, it's a very well made razor that deserves to be housed in a box as well made.

Don't write it off after only two shave's but maybe it's not for you, only you can decide that, there are plenty of razors that I would not be happy using, horse's for courses I guess.
Give it a chance and if you decide it's not for you then move it on and makes someone's day. :)

Paul.
Your right Paul as usual lol
i need to give it a good go,
i was playing around with angles but still didn’t get much joy,
I will persevere it’s in my nature,
but if i don’t get any improvements by the next few shaves i will definitely stick it on the BST,
Weird really

Paul.

I think he means the Muster, which I think is the Treet 7 Days in different wrapping.

@Mike Smart maybe try the razor with a middle of the road blade like an Astra SP, but use one you already got a good shave with. So you know what to expect with the blade.

Paul.
Sorry Paul meant to say it’s a Muster blade not a mustard lol
iv used it many times, and a superb blade

I think he means the Muster, which I think is the Treet 7 Days in different wrapping.

@Mike Smart maybe try the razor with a middle of the road blade like an Astra SP, but use one you already got a good shave with. So you know what to expect with the blade.
Your right mate i was actually thinking about the Astra but i do know the Muster well iv used it plenty.
Don’t get me wrong i’ll explore all options before making a decision i never thought i would have to make

I still think it's an incredibly sexy looking razor in a very nice case. I think the case certainly makes up a fair % of the overall price but as you say, it befits it and elevates it, and people like the overall package. I think they get plenty of love reactions in SotD because they look the pinnacle of luxury. I'm sure someone will bite your arm off if it goes back in the BST.

Your right mate i was actually thinking about the Astra but i do know the Muster well iv used it plenty.
Don’t get me wrong i’ll explore all options before making a decision i never thought i would have to make

Feathers and some Treet blades are on the sharper side of things. I don't like Feathers and I find Treet blades are really razor sensitive. I don't have much experience of modern razors but I presume they are more blade sensitive than my trusty old Techs!

Good luck with finding a blade that suits it Mike.

I still think it's an incredibly sexy looking razor in a very nice case. I think the case certainly makes up a fair % of the overall price but as you say, it befits it and elevates it, and people like the overall package. I think they get plenty of love reactions in SotD because they look the pinnacle of luxury. I'm sure someone will bite your arm off if it goes back in the BST.
It’s pretty much me all over,
i got fed up buying modern razors due to me having plenty i don’t really use.
The only modern i like at the moment is the Rocnel Sailor but i won’t pay the price until i know i’m going to like it and at £1000 i can’t see anyone wanting to lend one of these out so i’ll never buy one.
i’m fed up buying razors to sit in a drawer,
i genuinely thought this one would be different
saying that it’s still early doors but so far just not getting the hype but again it could be my fault, time will tell

Last edited:
I think we've arrived at similar conclusions Mike, it wasn't a razor for me. It did a good enough job but wasn't comfortable to use (even though everyone else seems to get on well with it).
I thought exactly the same about the box!

It’s one of the best razors I’ve used, YMMV.
As for the cost/box etc, personally I think the razors build quality is up there with razors far more expensive so it’s a bargain IMHO
I agree it really is a well made, great looking razor i can’t fault it in any way,
infact as i say in my original post it’s one of the best looking razors i have
it just might not be for me aggression wise but i’m saying that knowing iv enjoyed more aggressive which confuses me.
I’m going to have another go soon so i’ll have a final decision.

Back
Top Bottom