Lack of Lather, Blame the Brush

A while ago, I went through a phase of using a shaving cream, rather than soaps, just to see. It was that bit easier, as you don't need to work the brush against a puck to get some ready to go. During this, I had (for various reasons) often skipped soaking my brush. I've only got the one, an Omega Boar brush, which has served me well over the past five years or so.

Once the cream had finished, I went back to the soap and didn't think much of it. Until I discovered I was really struggling to get much lather up with the soap, and what I did get seemed to fade off my face very quickly. Wondering why this was, I gave it a couple of goes and realised that I wasn't soaking my brush, and the more as soaked it the better it was.

Which leaves me wondering; do I get a syth brush so I don't need to soak?

I switched to a synth brush earlier this year after my badger brush of many years showed it's age.
The synth hair doesn't actually soak up water like natural hair it holds the water in between the hairs so you are picking up water and generally too much for me so give it a shake or two to loose some water. I just put it in the sink water together with the razor, a routine.
I have yet to try a proper soap or cream where I couldn't work up a good lather with the synth, and I'm in a hard water area.

It's a good reason to get a new brush. Is soaking your current brush too much of a big deal?
Soaking the brush requires use of the sink or purchase of a suitable bowl. Use of the sink is easy when darling wife is on a later shift, but she's a very greedy with it when getting up at the same time. It's not a major issue, but usually tricky once or twice a week.

Soaking the brush requires use of the sink or purchase of a suitable bowl. Use of the sink is easy when darling wife is on a later shift, but she's a very greedy with it when getting up at the same time. It's not a major issue, but usually tricky once or twice a week.
I used to soak my Omega boar is a family coffee mug, I just grabbed one of the rack. Now with a Yaqi Familia Segrada and and RR Plissoft Bruce before that, I just run it under the tap. Job done.

Could you use a mug to soak your brush?
I could get a mug... I just dread the time Darling Wife Who Isn't Clumsy At All knocks it off the side and it breaks into pieces and then it's my fault for having a mug on the side. Enamel, metal or plastic would sort that, but I've not got any suitable ones plastic ones, and no metal or enamel ones, so I'd have to buy something new, might as well get a proper shave bowl

I did consider getting a synth, the Hawkins and Brimble was possibly on the list, but I've not seen anyone recommending it. I may go for a Yaqi, as they seem to be the favorite recommendation for having a go with synthetics. Also the Yaqi brushes are supposed to have a bit of stiffness behind them, which many syths seem to be lacking.

I used to soak my Omega boar is a family coffee mug, I just grabbed one of the rack. Now with a Yaqi Familia Segrada and and RR Plissoft Bruce before that, I just run it under the tap. Job done.

I still soak my synth brush like I would a boar brush but for less time. I end up putting my synth brush in a mug of water as I get about combing my hair, trimming my nasal hairs (and so on), before squeezing out the water. There's absolutely no need to do that but it seems to be a habit!

I'd recommend using a plastic mug or something for soaking a boar brush in.

I did consider getting a synth, the Hawkins and Brimble was possibly on the list, but I've not seen anyone recommending it. I may go for a Yaqi, as they seem to be the favorite recommendation for having a go with synthetics. Also the Yaqi brushes are supposed to have a bit of stiffness behind them, which many syths seem to be lacking.

I've only used the Plissoft style and Tuxedo Yaqi synth knots, and they have enough backbone to their knots for loading hard soaps. If you want to buy stock which is in the UK, Shaving Station have a few Razorock Synths in stock.

Back
Top Bottom