Lacing smart boots

I have something of a penchant for traditional, heavy, country brogue boots (think Trickers, Cheaney etc). However, I often find that they look a bit "messy" when I lace them up.

When I tie the knot, the bits of leather with the eyelets in tend to gape open at the bottom of the shoe.

Any suggestions on how to get a neat, dressy look with brogue boots?

Straight lacing..
one end of lace going from bottom to top eyelet diagonally..the other end going across under..over...the end result, laces going straight across the shoe or boot front...no cross overs showing and easy to adjust.

+1 on the straight lacing although I would do it differently. I prefer to put the 2 lace tips together then feed each one through a bottom eye then work my way up the boot using one lace to come up through the eye across and back down. Then use the other lace for the next row and keep alternating until you get to the top. I like the look if the boot when done this way, although I think that Goldcrest's method made be easier and just as smart!

Wanderlust167 said:
+1 on the straight lacing although I would do it differently. I prefer to put the 2 lace tips together then feed each one through a bottom eye then work my way up the boot using one lace to come up through the eye across and back down. Then use the other lace for the next row and keep alternating until you get to the top. I like the look if the boot when done this way, although I think that Goldcrest's method made be easier and just as smart!

+1 on this method, which has the advantage of ensuring that the edges of the opening don't lie unevenly or distort. It's the preferred method of Drill Instructors I have known.

JohnnyO. \:icon_razz:

Do you know Chris, I'd never considered wether the eyelets were odd, or even in number before you just mentioned it...You must be an even bigger fuss pot than me.......and that takes a bit of doing........shall have to go check on my shoes now.

GOLDCREST said:
Do you know Chris, I'd never considered wether the eyelets were odd, or even in number before you just mentioned it...You must be an even bigger fuss pot than me.......and that takes a bit of doing........shall have to go check on my shoes now.

That's the application of the keenly scientific mind put to beneficial everyday use !

JohnnyO. \:blush:

JohnnyO said:
GOLDCREST said:

That's the application of the keenly scientific mind put to beneficial everyday use !

JohnnyO. \:blush:

You flatter me, sir! More the case that an online search for straight lacing information a few years ago led to me stumbling across that site.:angel:

Back
Top Bottom