Kropp straight!

Hi folks i have just purchased my first straight a vintage Kropp the question i have is! is it carbon steel or stainless also good/bad quality any info on them regards kev

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270685249699&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT</a><!-- m -->

1920's and before=carbon steel...1930's and beyond=Stainless steel
Looks like a 7/8 blade size..you gonna send to Neil for hone/clean up?
I have my wifes grandfathers razor..its from the 1920's..Carbon Steel...though im not too sure the characteristics between the two when it comes to personal experience

Congrats!
Blades

Blades said:
I have my wifes grandfathers razor..its from the 1920's..Carbon Steel...though im not too sure the characteristics between the two when it comes to personal experience

Congrats!
Blades
Cheers eric i havent a clue it aint arrived yet i am going to send it to neil but i really fancy cleaning it myself first if it looks naff then i will let neil do his stuff ;) :D

kev... said:
Blades said:

Congrats!
Blades
Cheers eric i havent a clue it aint arrived yet i am going to send it to neil but i really fancy cleaning it myself first if it looks naff then i will let neil do his stuff ;) :D

Kev...I'm American...what the hek does "naff" mean?... :lol: dirty?...

B

kev... said:
Blades said:

Congrats!
Blades

Kev, yours is carbon steel, however using date as a indicator is probably not a good idea, as companies like Thiers Issard still use carbon steel for their straights, and Dovo uses both stainless steel & carbon steel

Good luck kev, you got a nice one there! ;)

Max

I also think it depends on the steel type used..which would tell you how one razors quality is compared to another...Some people have 10 razors while other people have 100... :roll:
Razor steel type such as Swedish Steel or German Steel or American Steel..I believe some manufacturers made razors for other cities in various countries

Blades

kev... said:
Hi folks i have just purchased my first straight a vintage Kropp the question i have is! is it carbon steel or stainless also good/bad quality any info on them regards kev

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=270685249699&ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll? ... K:MEWAX:IT</a><!-- m -->

Kev: Carbon steel, like FrenchBlade says. Don't think I have ever seen a stainless Kropp.

Carbon steel is and was by far the most common steel used for razors, never mind what age they are.

Kropps are excellent razors. All of them were made in england, but some were ground in Hamburg, some in Sheffield. The Makers were Osborne Garrett & Co Ltd and they made a lot of other razors, with tradenames such as Carrara, Ogee, Elmo and Osgar - all very good razors.

In their day Kropps were basically a no-nonsense, sensible option - value for money. Quality control was excellent, as was the reputation. I find it strange that there is not more of a following - they easily match or outperform other makes.

Regards,
Neil

I have a Kropp 5/8, and have no complaints. I have seen them described as the "Ford Focus" of razors, pretty much a no nonsense tool for the job.

Ian

There's a Kropp and a Carrara in my "needing attention" box, the former Hamburg ground and the latter finished in Sheffield. There's not a lot to choose between them in terms of finish, both are nicely turned out and clearly of better than average quality. I particularly like the Carrara though as it's more prettily shaped, and has a less pronounced "belly" (the longitudinal stiffener) than the Kropp.

Received the Kropp this morning tryed to give it a polish up but struggled around the pivot area as there is some staining there!
There is also a small black mark on the point which i hope will buff out!

Picture065.jpg

Picture066.jpg

Picture068.jpg

Picture069.jpg

Kev..make sure that "black mark" isnt a chip or dent mate!..its bad news for that..I hope Neil can fix her up 150%..BTW: get my PM about a 2nd one... :mrgreen:

E

I was interested in that razor but I have just bought 2 recently and certainly don't need a 3rd until I work out what I am doing first. :lol:

Very nice, will be a beauty once cleaned up.

Spent another hour on it its come up alot better but not perfect so i think it needs the scales removing then a proper buff then honing neil pmed :D

I wouldn't worry too much about that mark on the tip. It doesn't look like it's in a place that comes into contact with your skin whilst shaving.

Ian

Back
Top Bottom