Knot/loft

To answer the original question, no I do not have a preference.

The smallest brush I own is a Simpsons Major which has an 18mm knot and 41mm loft, the largest is a CH2 which is 27-28mm knot with 59mm loft. I don’t know how many I actually have but it is quite a few covering the Best, Super, Silvertip, 2 Band and boar types.

Each brush has a place and a reason why I like it. For instance when you hold the 18mm knot Simpsons Major in your hand for the first time you think “yeah right, this aint going to much”, but the short 41mm loft gives it the stiffness it needs to produce almost comical amounts of lather from hard and soft soaps. I believe the “Wee Scott” is another very small brush with a similar characteristic; both are excellent travel brushes that are good enough to use in regular rotation.

My thoughts are in line with what has been said before; there is no specific knot and loft size that is better, it is the ratio between them that is important. The material used also affects the equation and is a variable that changes over time therefore the characteristic of some brushes changes as they bloom or as hairs split on boars.

I tend to try to match the brush to the soap, I have a few excellent brushes I reserve for creams and some I like to use on soaps. I tend to lean towards bigger brushes but I do rotate them round as I do my soaps, usually I have three or four brushes in rotation for a month or two then swap them for a different set.

Variety, as they say, is the spice of life.

I wonder how many people actually measure the knot / loft? Or, if they just quote the specs off the web site where they orderred it??

I also wonder how long the trend for short loft brushes that not only master any soap thrown underneath them, massage the face & hold enough lather to shave a footy team will last.

fozz77 said:
I also wonder how long the trend for short loft brushes that not only master any soap thrown underneath them, massage the face & hold enough lather to shave a footy team will last.

Indeed. It's inextricably linked to the trend of "face lathering" with soaps only.

Its a a bit like insisting on shoes with velcro straps just because it's easier. Shame.

antdad said:
fozz77 said:

Indeed. It's inextricably linked to the trend of "face lathering" with soaps only.

I fall into this group with six brushes. The seventh is a 27mm by 67mm professional boar that lathers with the best of em & will cover my chops in tallowy goodness, just without as much of a massage.

All the barber shop shaves I have had ( maybe 20 & none in the UK )the barber used a big boar ( probably why the bigger boars are called professional ??) I asked one of the barbers why he uses a brush that falls into the 15 - $30 range. his answer, they work. They sure do.

Back
Top Bottom