Knot/loft

Fido - I generally like 22mm-26 knot, 45-50 loft in a badger. I find that the shorter the loft, the wider knot I can tolerate! For example, I wouldn't like a 26mm/50mm brush, but could tolerate a 26mm/45mm.

In boar, things change a little due the the nature of boar hair - I like a 55mm loft and 24-25 knot. Any smaller than that in boar and I find it doesn't hold enough lather between passes (I don't like reloading).

I don't like a high loft in either boar or badger. I guess it's my preference for face lathering, and liking to use circular motions more than painting.

I find a high loft (>55mm) makes a brush feel floppy.

Regards,

John

It really depends on the type of hair and density, but at the moment I do find myself reaching for a larger brush (28/55), all that scrubbing is such a chore.

I have gone for 'small' sizes, owning a small Jagger Best and a Duke 1. Maybe I have a small face/hands but the larger sizes just look unwieldy to me, and look like they would eat up lather that should be on my face.

While still hoping for a few more responses to the original question, here's a related one for our resident brush makers. A typical knot is 22/65. Is there any practical reason why this should not be set within the handle to give a loft height of 45mm to give a firm backbone for the brush? I appreciate it might not be suitable for a really dense knot, which may need to be set a bit higher.

Henk may have a more scientific response, but I don't see why not. I've sunk knots to nearly that depth for people who want the softness of silvertip but don't want the floppiness.

My only concern would be that the brush would take longer to fully dry out than one that's allowed to open/bloom fully, but any dense brush would have the same issue.

I would say it's purely down to personal preference. If you want a firm, or even stiff brush, set it deeper. Not my preference, but to each his own. Only thing I can think of, following Chris's line of thought, you'd be burying a significant portion of the base, and any moisture that ends up there will not readily dry out -- so you'd have to be more careful to prevent rot...

Fido said:
While still hoping for a few more responses to the original question, here's a related one for our resident brush makers. A typical knot is 22/65. Is there any practical reason why this should not be set within the handle to give a loft height of 45mm to give a firm backbone for the brush? I appreciate it might not be suitable for a really dense knot, which may need to be set a bit higher.

i see where your going with this now Fido, knew you were up to something.

i had 2 knots from golden nib 22mm & 24mm and 2 donor handle to set them in.
they were bored deeper so i could try various loft heights to see what would work out right.

i tried LOADS of variations but found that if i went shorter than 50mm(ish) on the 22mm knot and less than 55mm(ish) on the 24mm the knots would choke, never bloom and basically become unworkable
higher lofts were no problem, obviously

i think antdad descussed this with someone at Vulfix and was told that to have a shorter loft on say a 24mm knot you'd need to bore the handle about 10mm bigger to allow the knot to bloom properly, let it breathe as it were
tony can correct me if i'm wrong :?

I have never seen a cylindrical shaped badger brush knot like this.

mineral_brushes_sytho_kabuki_50_SANY0498.JPG

Most if not all badger knots seem to be naturally tapered so the deeper you set them the larger the hole you need unless you purposefully want to change the shape of the knot and its characteristics.

Back
Top Bottom