Kiridashi - the Kamisori of utility knives

I've been wanting to add another knife to my beloved Opinel but something...a bit different (to me).

Does anyone here have any experience with Japanese Kiridashi knives?
Originating in Japan they were traditionally made for wood carving - and just like the higo no kamis they were also often used by school children to sharpen their pencils, cutting bamboo and paper for art work, etc.

The word means, roughly, "pointed knife" in English and have become an all-around knife lately even in the western world where people use it for anything from hiking to gardening and cutting open boxes and tougher material as a reversed grip and pull has this solid knife cutting through most anything with ease.

In it's simpler forms one can pick an original Japanese one up on Amazon for around $10 but artisan versions can go as high as $5-600 depending on maker and design.

Lately I've been following originhandcrafted, out of Canada, on Instagram and their Kiridashis has some things going for them in terms of price, quality and manufacturing.

Here's an instagram video of his latest one:
https://www.instagram.com/p/BG-cXO2lcTe/?taken-by=origin_hg
(The knife in the video is a bit bigger and appears to not be a single-bevel grind)

Material: They make their knives out of decade old files (so often 1095 or W1 high grade steel)
Sheath: Comes with a sheath that you can customize a bit as to how you want it to look leather/thread (kinda like Popov leather in a way)
Grind: It's interesting that the knives are only ground on one side..like a Kamisori in a way and the site states "This grind needs to be on the left side if you are left hand and the right side if you are right handed. "
Price: $100 / £ 68 for knife, sheath and lanyard

Anyone used one (any model/version)?

Some pics:
kiridashi6.jpg

andaat.jpg

dashiset3.jpg

Last edited:
i have a mini kiri made from O1, 20 quid if i remember from a chap called Shing, have a look on british blades there have been lots of kiri on there. those you've posted are very nice
steve

Back
Top Bottom