Kent BK8 Silvertip

When I returned to DE shaving last year I started out with a cheapie Wilkinsons. It did a job of sorts. Before I discovered the shaving forums I just relied on some reviews I read on Amazon and decided to buy the Kent BK8. It was soon whipping up excellent lathers from cream and I was fully satisfied with its performance. It has a big floppy head and I tended to paint the lather on because the head made it difficult to massage my face with a circular motion. The softness of the hairs make it a real pleasure to use. Because of its size it needs a little extra cream to make up a lather. I used have used it with sticks and soaps with very acceptable results. It is a lovely brush to use but I think it is better suited to creams even though it does a fair all round job. If it was my only brush I would feel a bit restricted. Having now got two more brushes that perform better with soaps and sticks I'm still pleased to have what feels like a little extra luxury in my tiny collection. It generally retails at £80 - I got mine for £68.
I added the Kent stand for an additional £5 - and that's how I keep it.

Just one final thought. I'm a fairly big chap. How anyone needs an even bigger brush like the BK12 version of this is lost on me.

Attachments

• DSC_1254.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 752
  • DSC_1256.jpg
    360 bytes · Views: 739
I have always looked at the BK12 with a sort of morbid fasination, it is like looking at a monster truck. You would never want to pay for one, or in this case use half a tub of cream each shave.

If I were to buy a Kent the BK8 would be the one.

Having used this brush a lot more since my review my liking for it has grown. The size issue has gone. I tend to face lather with creams and it does that job splendidly now. It has a truly luxurious feel. I wouldn't be without it.

going slightly off topic here,

the Kent BK8, AP8 (here <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopdisplayproducts.asp?id=52&cat=Shaving+brushes&page=1" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.kentbrushes.com/shopdisplayp ... hes&page=1</a><!-- m -->) and the BLK 8 on page 2, are all priced at £80.

Are all 3 of these '8' series brushed all going to be top quality brushes? i.e. Are Kent good brush makers?

Reason I ask: I was given a KENT P8 (not AP8) which they stopped making as a gift. It is an absolutely GEM of a brush. I am using a TOBS silvertip which I LOVE TO BITS, but the KENT really is something. And boy, it is a good looking brush! Showing my ignorance here, but will top-end Kent brushes perform as good as they look?

I don't see point of owning 2 brushes so will probably give it to my brother for Xmas. He's seen mine otherwise I would have given him mine and kept the kent. loool.

Others here have far more knowledge and experience with a wide variety of brushes than me.

But.

I can compare Simpsons Duke 3. shavemac silver tip 177 and Semogue 1305 & 2000.

The BK8 is well made and I have not noticed any hair loss or any signs of a deterioration in the brush handle after several months of regular use.

The only downside that some might think is that the BK8 is on the large side and rather floppy. I don't find it so now. These don't seem to be favoured characteristics on the shavers forums.
If you want to know the meaning of floppy - try the shavemac 177. It gets rave reviews on B&B as a great face latherer. Don't know the planet the reviewer was on. It is sumptuous in applying creams but no match for the BK8 in all round performance.

Having now given each of my brushes an extended run I can say without hesitation that the BK8 is the last one I would get rid of. It is such a delight to use.

One of the things that occurs to me is how long it takes fully to appreciate something. That's why it's useful to update reviews as your experience in using the product enables you better to judge it.

My experience with the BK8 gets better and better. The more I use it on soaps for example, the more I appreciate what a brilliant all round brush this is. Although the head appears floppy, by using just the tips it is a really excellent face latherer. It picks up soap from pucks really well now and creates more than enough lather for several passes. But above all, this has such a luxurious feel on your face. It truly is a top brush for the price. Soon to be joined by it's smaller brother the BK4 my Kent brushes are making me a genuine fan of GB Kent who I will be watching closely from now on through their Facebook pages. I wonder what other gems they have. Mind you, I think nine brushes are going to more than enough for now.

Fido said:
One of the things that occurs to me is how long it takes fully to appreciate something.
I think this applies especially to brushes, and in particular to boar bristle which really does improve as the hair ends split; for this reason I'll be holding off on reviewing the Semogue LE until it's been well run in. The badger brush Neo made for me also went through a process of improvement over the first fortnight, though frankly it was a winner from the first use.
I'm pleased to read your ongoing thoughts on the BK8, Fido, partly because one way or another I shall be a BK4 owner shortly (maybe very shortly!), but also it's gratifying to see someone talking up another British manufacturer besides Simpsons. From what you have said the BK8 sounds like a delight for sybarites on a budget: an outsized deluxe brush without a three figure price tag.

That's spot on Andy

When I was in the TSG at Hungerford I got a chance to handle the top of the range Simpsons. The BK8 stands up against them very well. Not quite as dense but enough to do a superb job. I really noticed the difference this morning when I used my Semogue 1305 on the same Yardley soap as yesterday. It simply doesn't pick up the same amount of product as quickly or effectively - and I really had to work at getting the cushioning I needed for my straight edge razor shave. But I got there in the end. And it feels good!

No one's leaving my village right now. It's an ice rink. Stay away from South West Hampshire today.

Another here who enjoys the ongoing reviews. I think your review does carry some weight as you have sampled other luxurious brushes and have something to compare against. I'm also pleased to hear you can really get a lather going from soaps with this brush - its nice to have the option between soaps and creams.

The BK8 seems to hit the sweetspot between luxury and price - I can't wait for Christmas day!

I picked one up for £30 from John Lewis. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be £30 but the shop assistant was adamant that the computer was giving the right price, suited me fine - she seemed to think I was strange spending £30 on a shaving brush.

Proinsias said:
I picked one up for £30 from John Lewis. I'm sure it wasn't meant to be £30 but the shop assistant was adamant that the computer was giving the right price, suited me fine - she seemed to think I was strange spending £30 on a shaving brush.

No John Lewis near me ......

Back
Top Bottom