Keeping lather warm

How important is it to keep lather warm between passes and what are anyones recommendations for doing so. I'm currently using a ramekin for lathering and find that for the second pass the lather is cold. I'm not sure it that makes a difference to anything or not.
My one and only proper barbers shave was in Hoboken, New Jersey. The barber had a silver box on the counter that warm lather came out of on tap (a bit like a Mr Whippy ice cream, other brands available, etc). He was amazed that I was surprised at this, but not as amazed as when I told him that barbers in the UK did not offer hot shaves which was the case at that time.
Anyway should lather be kept warm and if so how. I have a round bottomed sink and like to rinse my razor under running water so setting it in a sink of warm water doesn't really work for me..........

I'm not sure using warm lather is that important but it is certainly more comfortable and pleasurable.

Give both your brush and container a good hot soak for as long as you can before use. It also helps if the container has a good thick or twin wall so it can retain heat for longer, a thick walled soup mug might be better suited otherwise invest in a scuttle.

There have been traditional barbers offering "hot shaves" for decades you just have to be lucky to able to find one that's still practising nearby.

Like many things we have and do, warm lather is not necessary, just a pleasure. People achieve it in several ways. Some float bowls on their hot water, others use scuttles of various sorts. I suspect most scuttles get used infrequently after an initial burst. A decent purpose made scuttle will cost at least £30 plus delivery. Apart from the pleasant feeling I don't believe it makes the slightest difference to the effectiveness of your shave. But half the fun of the way we approach shaving is to enjoy little treats, so if you fancy warm lather , give it a go!

Here's one of several relevant threads:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2993" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=4&t=2993</a><!-- l -->

I must admit to liking my lather warm.
I use one of those cuppa soup mugs and a small rice bowl from the Chinese supermarket.
I sit the bowl in the cup which I half fill with hot water and this will give me 4+ passes of lovely warm lather. The pair sit between the taps on the sink, not in it.

I keep looking at scuttles but the current set up works just fine and I keep putting off going for one.
I actually spoke to a local potter who can make one to my design/specs but so far haven't given hert the green light,,,will I,, wont I,, should I? :? :?
regards, beejay

I recently bought 2 antique scuttles and gave them a try and found no differance really, i did not notice any differance in my shave with either warm or cold cream.

Back
Top Bottom