Just saying Hi

Arrowhead expressed it better than me, there is plenty of cross over that you can benefit from without the additional complication that using a straight razor first may bring. Consistency for one. D.E blades are consistently sharp if not sharper than a straight razors edge and you can get as good a result using a safety razor with the proper technique so I wouldn't discount it on performance grounds either.

Many thanks for all the kind replies. I may have to start looking at a DE now. Anyone recommend one, i had looked at the 34c but apparently they are out of stock everywhere, and i have read a few things about poor quality control and some of them not aligning correctly.

heroblob said:
Many thanks for all the kind replies. I may have to start looking at a DE now. Anyone recommend one, i had looked at the 34c but apparently they are out of stock everywhere, and i have read a few things about poor quality control and some of them not aligning correctly.

I really like the Edwin Jagger EJ89. I haven't tried lots of razors but this works for me and I'm going to stick with it. It's a very popular razor - there is a long thread here somewhere about it.

I'd not heard anything about poor quality control around 34C razors, but they do seem to be hard to get hold of at the moment. If you can't get one, go for the 38C, same head but longer handle.

I had just been looking into the EJ de.89 What is the difference between the de.89 & de.87. I can only find them without the model number, Just edwin jagger razor.
I read somewhere that someone purchased a couple of 34C's and both had miss aligned heads. a reply was that their quality control and overall build quality had fallen, and they had had problems.
At the moment the EJ is looking quite good, But is there any thin i should be looking for if i am looking to use this as a stepping stone to a straight or dose it not matter and should i just get onto the DE road and start to learn about lather, angles, brushes, my face and how to stop the blood flowing.

The other razor sharing the same head as the EJ is the Muhle 89 which has a fairly deeply serrated handle affording a firm grip. It's one I have and use and I couldn't recommend a better shaving head (whichever make you prefer) to commence and progress wet shaving with. It's not particularly aggresive, affords a really rigid & stable blade platform and after over half a century of wet shaving it's not one I can see myself growing out of. Both the EJ & the Muhle are, to me, amazing value for your money.

Enjoy choosing and using your purchases M8.

JohnnyO. :shave

Hello and welcome! What antdad and other have said, but I don´t think you get a better shave w a straight compared to a shavette, the later is more difficult to master though. + it´s all about what you like, I´m a straight guy... erhh, well that too :lol:, but it´s a lot about what path you decide/like to go. We have brush guys, DE guys, soap guys/lassies etc. I´m no expert in any way, but I do like/prefer cut throats :geek:. Cheers /Mikael

Hi Heroblob!

My wife used to know a hairdresser in Leigh-on-Sea who was considering shaving people with their own straight razors - can't recall the name, though. If you do get a straight pm me and I'll see if she can remember the name of the shop. He had lots of old barber paraphenalia in there, including a really plush old barbers chair. Never can recall much about barbers, though - must be a psychological thing!

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom