Just One Razor? (Well, Sort Of.......)

Could you? Would you? Have you? What would it be, and why?

I (sort of) have. I've had loads of razors come and go. Sometimes because I really want to see how good they are. Sometimes because I see this as a hobby, and that means I keep browsing then buying. But, I have decided to be honest with myself. Everything I shave with, whatever it is, just feels like I'm making life hard for myself and feels like a compromise compared to the mighty Muhle R41.

Whatever the version, it just works so well. To be honest I could usually get away with one pass. Two is always enough. Less passes makes for smoother irritation free shaving. No pulling or snagging. Perfection. It's really well finished too.

But, of cause, its not just one. I have a few. Newer heads, older heads (more blade exposure). Regular handle, rose gold handle, Grande handle and I've now put an R41 head on my Merkur four piece travel razor., so that's job-done.

So, that's it. I'll still experiment with new soaps etc, but as far as razors go I'm just sticking here. At least head-wise. Might play with handles.

I will keep my birth year Gilliette adjustable, but really just as something to have, rather than use.

Anyone else reached a similar position?

20230122_160715.jpg20230122_182038.jpg

After taking a break from this as a hobby and just shaving as a routine task for several years I narrowed it down to two razors as my razor stand holds two.
The razors on there for most of that time were the mk. 1 adjustable Fatboy and a cheap clone of the Merkur Futur. I was happy with these for that time.
When it comes to what else I have, I also have a birth year razor and a couple of cartridge and injectors, to complement my dozen or so DEs.
I could be happy with just my Fatboy if I had to only have one, until I got my Popular a few weeks ago. Now I'm not sure I could choose between them.
Incidentally I have a few DE razors that rarely see the light of day and are just there if I fancy something very different... a challenge, perhaps, if they are particularly aggressive, as I prefer a mild razor day-to-day

For the second part of last year I was using just one razor. Six months with the same razor and I would happily have just that as my only razor in the den. As I'm sure many of you know it's the Rockwell 6S (in red :cool:). Aesthetically is not my dream razor as it has a very bulky, industrial design but being in red somewhat balances that. I don't think I found a more 'smooth operator' plus if you ever get bored of the same shaving experience you can always dial up or down using different plates.

Could you? Would you? Have you? What would it be, and why?
Yes. Nope. Yes. Colonial Razors The General V1 Black. Because It's perfect (for me!).
R4sTVxc.jpeg

...The Tech is all I need really...

I agree with this, but in all honesty the Schick injector is a better overall design. Solution: I only use an injector on multi-day beards where it excels.

Finny thing though, those who love & use the Tech DE seem like happier and less restless people. You know, like the ol' neighbor Ralph who drives a clean and well maintained older model vehicle that always runs. ;)

Back
Top Bottom