Just made a couple of denim strops

I've just cut out a couple of strops out of a pair of beige Wranglers which somehow ended up in the loft cast off's from a family member I think he out grew them waist wise and thought they would fit me but they are too big the good thing is they are pretty much new. One strop is about 4.5cm wide another about 10cm they are both 3 ply and ironed, the narrower one has been attached to some strop hardware while the 2nd has been left as folded fabric and I've used it wedged into a closed draw.

Its very effective, 30 laps then 60 laps on the Neil Miller strop I have and my razors both passed the HHT better than before and better than the leather alone.

I think the 10cm strop will be attached to some wood as hardware, but not tonight.

I have some material left I wonder if denim would be a good surface for chromium oxide.

No reason why it shouldn't work - the chrome oxide will sit 'in' the strop, cushioning its effect a bit, but thats no problem. As far as diamond spray goes, a slight cushioning action is good as it tames the aggressive cutting of the diamond a bit.

The cotton should be a little more abrasive than the leather strop - you have already proven the effectiveness of it with your 30/60 routine. Linen has an even greater abrasive quality. You should be able to keep the edge of the razor going for quite a while like this.

Remember that if you do put chrome oxide on your spare denim hanging strop, it is going to lead to the razors edge getting rounded a little bit quicker - the deflection of the strop will see to that. It might be better to stretch it over a straight length of board and use it that way. If you do use it as a hanger, cut down on the laps a bit - say three to five.

Old-time barbers used to fill in the weave on cotton strops by rubbing a block of hard soap over it - stiffens it up too. I haven't ever tried this myself, but have had a few old strops where it had been done.

The other old stand-by to increase the abrasiveness was white paste - a chalky paste rubbed into the strop. Dovo White Paste is a modern equivalent.

Regards,
Neil.

antdad said:
Good idea, would it be worth using denim to make a paddle strop?

I don't see why not! I think you would have to get the cut ends out of the way, possibly by gluing it and doubling it up, but I don't like the idea of two edges butting together under the primary stropping surface. Probably better to wrap it over something semi flexible first, like an old pc mouse-mat, then glue that to the paddle.

Regards,
Neil

Back
Top Bottom