Just had my very first straight razor shave...

Well done!

I'm enjoying the voyage of discovery from DE shaving, and that will keep me happy for a while yet - but ultimately I'd like to try and aim towards using a straight. Its the whole 'art' of the technique and upkeep that appeals! That and some of the pictures Mikael posts in SOTD ;)

Congratulations and welcome to the club!

I have to say it took 1-2 weeks thereabouts for me to get accustomed to it all. I must admit once you get the handle of it and then move on to a Japanese razor ( kamisori ), you'll find it's an interesting tool. In truth, it's comparable to a surgical tool. At least for me I found these to be easier to learn from compared to its western counterpart.

When it piqued my bro's interest, I gave him one of my kamisori's and he never looked back. Strangely, he hasn't even touched the western straight I gave him. To each his own I reckon.

I love both western and Japanese styles. Look forward to your feedback should you ever get your feet wet in that regard mate.

Mockingbird said:
Thanks for all your replies.

I've just ordered a Simpsons Duke 3 brush and will make the rounds of St James area in London in search for creams/soaps.

So far, I've got my eye on Taylor of Old Bond Street for pre-shave, cream and aftershave.
I'll also pop into L'Occitane to see how their Cade range is, and Crabtree & Evelyn.

Any other brands/products I should look into?

Thanks again. :mrgreen:

Mighty nice brush there. Look forward to your feedback. Are you going to pick up Boars too or stick to Badgers for time being?

As far as products of interest: Fitness or Figaro soft soap creates exorbitant amount of lather not to mention leave your face moisturized. Aggressively priced as well.

Mockingbird said:
Did the rounds today for most of the shaving shops through Jerym Street and Regent street.

I found out that (IMO) :

-the majority of shaving creams are too powering
-almond is absolutely horrid, reminds me of marzipan
-lavender and sandlewood is not for me

I almost bought the Taylors St. James shaving cream, but ended up with L'Occitane cade shaving soap. I'm also impressed with the L'Occitane men's section scents. I guess I'm drawn to a more subtle and 'natural' smells.

I also got the Geo F Trumper sampler pack. The service in this shop was outstanding. I really hope I get along with the samples because the service was brilliant. The gentleman was extremely helpful and gave lots of advice. He even offered my girlfriend some candy (in a non-creepy fashion).

If you like subtle and natural then you should check out the Edwin Jagger creams if you can. Their fragrances are very subtle and it's great quality stuff. I often have samples but I don't have any at the moment - if you email them directly they might send you some.

My take on using a straight is to get good shaves you need to know what the feel is. Things that have helped me are getting a straight shave from a barbers shop gives you an idea of what it should feel like but in time you should be able to give your self a better shave then any barber can. With the correct blade angles it will just cut the hair without tugging it. You have to use a light touch anything firmer will lead to an uncomfortable shave. Take your time to start I started just by shaving my cheeks then as I became more confident I expanded the area I shaved, and in time you'll become quicker at it.

I do believe that with good technique you should get a closer more comfortable shave from a straight than a DE but you've got to have the skill to get there and what you are aiming to beat in the DE world is a Merkur Futur set on 6 but I'm sure that there will be others out there who will say the DE to beat is something else.

Have Fun Now :shave :D

Back
Top Bottom