Just had my very first straight razor shave...

WOW that was intimidating to say the least.
Luckily I ordered a styptic stick and alum block, managed to have around 5 blots of red :lol:

It's definitely time to get a proper shaving brush and cream/soap, the nivea gell stuff I'm using dries almost immediately.

Oh well, here comes the learning curve :hungrig

I have always wanted to try a straight razor shave, but have wimped out everytime!

I use a parker butterfly safety razor and don't generally cut myself at all, but the enchantment of a straight edge is still there. I'm afraid that if I tried it I would look like I had just been through the windscreen of my car...

Do oyu know if you actually get a better shave from a straight razor than with a safety razor, I'm not sure?

You're still breathing, nice start :mrgreen:

What sort of razor were you using, was it shave ready? Having a razor sharpened by a pro can make all the difference to a factory or vintage edge.

A good prep, brush & cream/soap should makes things run a little more smoothly.

Prof: the learning curve has been quite a bit steeper than the de for me. After about ten shaves or so I was getting a shave which at least looked fine and 18 months later I can damn good shaves, though not quite de smooth yet. I've heard people claim that the shave from a straight razor will last longer than a de shave, perhaps due to the skin stretching, and on all but a few awkward places so far I have to agree with this.
There's something nice about actually holding the blade that's doing the cutting, and maintaing or playing around with the edge on it.

It was a vintage from Neil Miller, so shave ready.

My fault was with shaving prep (and obviously technique), thought I could get away with just a hot rinse. I'll leave the next shave for after shower.

Looking now to get cream/soap and aftershave. I may go with cream since I've got to wait another two weeks until Fido's New Forest brush comes out.

Any suggestions :?: I'll pop into TOBS and C&E later in the week...

I may have to hold out my next straight razor shave until I get the cream/soap and brush sorted. It was a little nerving to see the Nivea shaving gel dry out so quickly.

Don't forget if you have not already got one to get a strop, I have some cream in a tube and some other creams which I can sort out into some samples for you if you want.
Anyway straight shaving is no harder that using a DE, The same rules apply:
Understand which way your hair grows
Shave with the grain (if you shave against you could end up with a rash)
Always use a sharp blade
Keep your skin taut but don't over stretch
Use about a thirty-degree angle (I have found this works well)
And strop the blade before you start and once you have finished (this dry's the blade as well)
Also used lots of lather, Try one pass the re lather.
Also I think Fido is a good member to get advice from about brushes (he seems to own a few :D )
Once you get the hang of it you will enjoy it and you may even find that you don't have to shave everyday as the 5'oclock shadow appears for me the day after

Get yourself a Vulfix 404 mix brush and Vulfix cream from Diamond edge (Persian Musk is my particular favourite) it has a lot of glycerine so it is very slick.

Like many, I've used straight razors but have returned to my DE comfort zone. Get it right and you enjoy a really satisfying shave. But unless you have a natural aptitude you must expect to take time to really perfect your technique. There is no shortage of advice around and many fine videos on the internet to see how it's best done. You really do need a decent protective lather. Good luck!

I'm mostly a cut throat user nowadays, for reasons of comfort and avoiding irritation. My take on the learning process is that having used a DE for a while is a big help because you'll have learned (subconsciously, like as not) about pressure, the direction of your beard growth and so on, and probably developed a few relevant tricks which will translate.

Anyway Mockingbird: good on you for getting stuck in, but please try and find a decent cream or soap because it'll give you some much needed protection.

As regards the straight razor shave lasting longer - yes, I think so, but not at all sure why.

Congratulations & well done M/Bird on just going ahead and doing it. No question but that if you were just using a shave gel there will be a night and day improvement when you get a decent cream, brush & do a good prep. I'm with the suggestion that Fido would be good to speak to about a brush. When I used creams I always found Edwin Jagger excellent, however there is so much personal taste involved all I'd suggest is that any of the names you see mentioned in TSR will have passed some of the most exacting shavers around. Both Soapy Alchemiste & Henk make very well thought of soaps which might be even more suitable than a cream for your purposes.

If it helps any, when I started with an open straight I used to shave with the straight on my cheeks & neck area, then use a DE under my nose and on my chin area. As I got more accustomed to the straight I gradually expanded the area of operations as it were.

Keep the faith & well done you !

JohnnyO. :shave

I started straight shaving about a year ago but gave it up when we had our first daughter. I was getting good shaves without any nicks but after getting up 3 or 4 times in the night I couldn't justify the time needed in the morning to strop and shave with a straight. I plan to get back into it soon though. Being experienced with a DE helped as I already had my beard growth direction and pressure sorted. Definitely invest in a brush and soap/cream if you intend to keep it up!

Thanks for all your replies.

I've just ordered a Simpsons Duke 3 brush and will make the rounds of St James area in London in search for creams/soaps.

So far, I've got my eye on Taylor of Old Bond Street for pre-shave, cream and aftershave.
I'll also pop into L'Occitane to see how their Cade range is, and Crabtree & Evelyn.

Any other brands/products I should look into?

Thanks again. :mrgreen:

Mockingbird said:
Thanks for all your replies.

I've just ordered a Simpsons Duke 3 brush and will make the rounds of St James area in London in search for creams/soaps.

So far, I've got my eye on Taylor of Old Bond Street for pre-shave, cream and aftershave.
I'll also pop into L'Occitane to see how their Cade range is, and Crabtree & Evelyn.

Any other brands/products I should look into?

Thanks again. :mrgreen:

Dont forget to pop into C&S and Floris. Head upto Regent Street after as they have a C&E and L'Occitane right next door to each other and just before them is one of the Penhaligons shops.

Happy shopping fella :hungrig

Did the rounds today for most of the shaving shops through Jerym Street and Regent street.

I found out that (IMO) :

-the majority of shaving creams are too powering
-almond is absolutely horrid, reminds me of marzipan
-lavender and sandlewood is not for me

I almost bought the Taylors St. James shaving cream, but ended up with L'Occitane cade shaving soap. I'm also impressed with the L'Occitane men's section scents. I guess I'm drawn to a more subtle and 'natural' smells.

I also got the Geo F Trumper sampler pack. The service in this shop was outstanding. I really hope I get along with the samples because the service was brilliant. The gentleman was extremely helpful and gave lots of advice. He even offered my girlfriend some candy (in a non-creepy fashion).

The Trumpers Lime skin food is quality. I use it as both pre and post shave. Very good. Proraso pre/post is also very good if you like a menthol hit. With regards soap, look no further than Nanny's. Her soaps are awesome.

Back
Top Bottom