Just been given some straight razors... Need advice

CjH

Ok. So an old friend who's husband died a year or so ago just moved house.
Her daughter came over to help sort through all the old stuff. I'd said to them that if they had any old shaving stuff they didn't want I'd be happy to have a look.
Well they just gave me the best gift ever.....
But I need some advice. First of all what do I have? Are they worth restoring getting honed up etc.
Are they worth anything? (not planning on selling just wondering)
What is the best way to clean and remove the tarnishing.
Here are some pics.
IMG_20220418_182705.jpgIMG_20220418_182712.jpgIMG_20220418_182717.jpgIMG_20220418_182722.jpgIMG_20220418_182730.jpgIMG_20220418_182739.jpg

Thanks.

Gosh. Sorry to hear about the circumstances. Nice to find a piece of history though. The Fagan has a fair bit of hone wear, so I guess that was his favourite. I am not the person to ask about value or how to best clean them unfortunately but they don't look so far gone that they're scrap. I am sure they'd clean up and be capable of being honed back to shave ready. The Taylor's Eye Witness 1000 is a nice piece of Sheffield, I think that ought to be restored. Hope someone else more knowledgeable can add something to give you an idea of what it might be worth paying to get these restored.

The George Wolstenholm Peerless also ought to be restored, it may be 150 years old and possible ivory scales.
The whole bundle is worthy of the attention of someone who knows their stuff, and I suspect it'll be worthwhile getting them cleaned, repinned and honed. Some people like to keep the patina, so hold off polishing them unless you are advised that it's for the best.

Last edited:
Gosh. Sorry to hear about the circumstances. Nice to find a piece of history though. The Fagan has a fair bit of hone wear, so I guess that was his favourite. I am not the person to ask about value or how to best clean them unfortunately but they don't look so far gone that they're scrap. I am sure they'd clean up and be capable of being honed back to shave ready. The Taylor's Eye Witness 1000 is a nice piece of Sheffield, I think that ought to be restored. Hope someone else more knowledgeable can add something to give you an idea of what it might be worth paying to get these restored.

The George Wolstenholm Peerless also ought to be restored, it may be 150 years old and possible ivory scales.
The whole bundle is worthy of the attention of someone who knows their stuff, and I suspect it'll be worthwhile getting them cleaned, repinned and honed. Some people like to keep the patina, so hold off polishing them unless you are advised that it's for the best.
Ooooh.
Interesting. They all just about shave the hair off my arms,
I've always wanted a straight, but could never bring myself to buy one as I didn't know if it would be something I'd use. But as the family have been so generous I really feel I should get at least 1 or 2 sorted and shave ready. And then as time goes by I may get the others done.
I'm so excited.... The family were laughing at me. :ROFLMAO:

I have nothing to add for condition or how to get them to shaving quality/sharpness, all I can say is the first time you shave successfully with a straight is a absolutely glorious feeling of accomplishment.
it took me a while but when it happened I was so happy.
So go for it. Nothing to lose apart from blood, but your body will make more. (y):)

In the absence of any further comments or tips on restoration, at the risk of sounding like an advert, if you are looking for a person to contact regarding restoration you could try John June at JJShaves.com
He does honing, restoration etc of straights and also tune-ups and replating of DEs etc. Nice bloke to deal with and knows his stuff.

Micro mesh polishing cloth is good for cleaning up tarnished blades.

If you've got deep corrosion to rub out, maybe even drop down to 1,000 or 500 wet & dry sandpaper.

However, if there is pitting on or very near the edge of the blade, it probably can't be honed.

Micro mesh polishing cloth is good for cleaning up tarnished blades.

If you've got deep corrosion to rub out, maybe even drop down to 1,000 or 500 wet & dry sandpaper.

However, if there is pitting on or very near the edge of the blade, it probably can't be honed.
I would contradict the last sentence here as it’s very rare that pitting goes deep enough to make a razor unusable. I’ve restored hundreds of razors and don’t recall any that were total write-offs because of pitting. There have been some where I’ve had to hone past some blow holes - but not many.

One piece of advice I would give to the OP is to get just one razor into a shave ready state and see if shaving with it will be something for the long term. If it is, then consider what to do with the other razors, but leave them as they are until then.

I would contradict the last sentence here as it’s very rare that pitting goes deep enough to make a razor unusable. I’ve restored hundreds of razors and don’t recall any that were total write-offs because of pitting. There have been some where I’ve had to hone past some blow holes - but not many.

One piece of advice I would give to the OP is to get just one razor into a shave ready state and see if shaving with it will be something for the long term. If it is, then consider what to do with the other razors, but leave them as they are until then.
Hey thanks....

Its a great hobby restoring razors, the cleaning, polishing and then getting them sharp, though its not cheap starting off. But when you use one to shave, its well worth it.

Back
Top Bottom