James VS Aristocrat

I always wanted to get my hands on one of these,its been almost a year since I began my DE journey and Iooking at online pics was as close as I got to one of these razors. Tonight I decided to use the aristo lended to me bye pedro(you're a star mate),lathered up with TOBS soap pifed by Chris(thanks Chris so far my best pif).Using this soap was a joy as it delivered a creamy lather in no time and had a wonderful scent.I got my razor in my hand, as soon as I shaved one cheek I started to realize what the fuss is all about,probably not as a hefty as a fatboy, I was expecting it to be a lot heavier looking at pics online but it felt just right in my hand making it easy to maneuver around the face.

From the aggressiveness point of view it really fooled me because it felt very mild but at the sametime it delivered the cutting level of a fatboy at around 6 or 7.
All in all this razor is fantastic in every way and certainly deserves all the attention it gets from traditional wet shaver.

Regards
James

Good deal James,

Yeah, those Aristocrats are one of my favorite fixed head types. I normally use my fatboy set on #4, and the little bit more of a bite using an Aristocrat is easy to take. There's one in my small (6-8 razors) rotation, and it's always fun using that thing when it calls to me.

You're right about it not being quite as heavy as a fatboy...66g as opposed to the fatboy's 79. Still, the balance is good on both, and they feel quite pleasant in my hand. The Aristocrat's looks and handle knurling is a step up from the fatboy in my opinion.

Good news is you're also gonna like using the Diplomat and the President, since those are all three pretty much the same performance wise.

Nice when something fits well,

Martin

Oh, I should mention something a few of you might not know. Not all Aristocrats shave the same. Not all slims and fatboys shave the same. I've used Aristocrats I hated and some that I loved. Same thing with fatboys and other razors. Some fit me better than others.

Heh, I guess maybe I'm being a bit of an enabler by saying this, but sometimes it'll take trying a few different same model types to really see if it fits or not.

There you go......a little farther down the bottomless badger burrow.

antdad said:
I thought this thread would be about those pretty English ones James?

no it isn't,whenever u pif me an english version I'll send u a friendly pm and do a thread on the razor in question matey :lol:

Hey I can take it I'm a big boy, I get it, the 48' Aristo is the the fat pretty girl left sat in the corner at the dance that you feel sorry for. She's a sympathy case and you boys don't like to dance together.

Hiya,

Not to enable anyone, but.........

From left to right:

1946-47 Aristocrat (no notch)
1955 Diplomat
1955 President (rhodium plated)

You'll notice the 'rainbow' effect on the middle razor, which is I believe caused by the lacquer changing color over the years. This is seen occasionally, although the gold plating underneath is pristine.

The no notch and Prez are both used in my regular rotation with much success.

Back
Top Bottom