jake thackray - genius

a number of years ago i heard a track on the radio by jake thackray, up until then id never heard of him but the lyrical genius just blew me away, so i went out and bought some of his cds.
for those who have never came across him, hes like a cross between noel coward and george formby, i think he was once dubbed 'the north country noel coward. hes unapologetically british, his guitar playing is staggeringly good, his lyrics are superb and a little bit saucy with a wonderful take on english life.
ive been listening to him this morning and just thought id spread the love :)

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xDm-kpe0wYA[/video]

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xod5YAw1_mI[/video]

[video=youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Os90p_xZWZs[/video]

Absolutely! I caught La-Di-dah on 6 music (pretty sure it was the huey show) about 3 years ago and have had little sessions of listening to Jake regularly since.

Its amazing when you mention him how many other fans come out of the woodwork.

gazza said:
Absolutely! I caught La-Di-dah on 6 music (pretty sure it was the huey show) about 3 years ago and have had little sessions of listening to Jake regularly since.

Its amazing when you mention him how many other fans come out of the woodwork.

i think radio6 was where i heard him first too, it may have been stuart maconies freakzone i heard him on. national treasure would be an appropriate tag :)

I think it was the early 1970s when I first heard a song which included the line - 'I want to kiss the vicar's missus'. If that one is on any of the lists above, give it a listen.

Jake used to be a regular on 'That's Life' and 'The Braden Beat' with Esther Rantzen and Bernard Braden Back in the dim, distant 70's & early 80's. As a kid, I remember hating his music at the time but when I hear it now it's very pastoral/of its time English and quite risqué in its own, inoffensive way. Worth tracking down.

Sheesh! that takes me back aways! Great talent just never popular. Peter Skellern was another of the era and another great talent just never popular.

I remember him from years ago on tv and never got/liked him,but three or four years ago I bought his 'greatest hits' cd and thought it was excellent. Another eccentric I've got a lot of time for is the genius that is Ivor Cutler...

The aforementioned George Formby is pretty special too.

Bechet45 said:
Sheesh! that takes me back aways! Great talent just never popular. Peter Skellern was another of the era and another great talent just never popular.

I was about to disagree with you Carl, but having checked my British Hit Singles(16th Edition) he only had 3 chart entries between 1972-79, so I'd agree that he deserved more. Maybe it's because I had an LP of his with the Grimethorpe Colliery Band that caused a false memory.

The aforementioned George Formby is pretty special too.

I remember him from years ago on tv and never got/liked him,but three or four years ago I bought his 'greatest hits' cd and thought it was excellent. Another eccentric I've got a lot of time for is the genius that is Ivor Cutler...

UKRob said:
Bechet45 said:

I was about to disagree with you Carl, but having checked my British Hit Singles(16th Edition) he only had 3 chart entries between 1972-79, so I'd agree that he deserved more. Maybe it's because I had an LP of his with the Grimethorpe Colliery Band that caused a false memory.

What is the album called, Rob? Sounds right up one of my streets!

Back
Top Bottom