Iwasaki, Norikazu, Livi

This research was done months ago and have since changed. To date Iwasaki needs to be honed and I'll follow-up with that some time in future. I'll touch on honing for both Kanetaka sizes 1 and 2 as well.

Iwasaki size 1

I'm glad I didn't wait till I became proficient in shaving as some have advised to only get one once you've acquired the skill to shave comfortably with western razor. Since I'm not a very good listener, I went ahead and got one.

I'll never forget my first shaving experience. No nicks/cuts/lacerations. The only time I suffered minor cut was when I shaved with the ura for kicks during my 3rd or 4th shave session. That was not only foolhardy but down right stupid. Razors should be treated with respect just like any other instrument. Especially in the hands of a very inexperienced untrained green pea. The cut occurred on #3 section ( right upper lip ). Thank God I wasn't insipid enough to use it on #12 (lower jaw) or #13 (lower neck).
Add to that it goes against traditional practices.

Well truth be told these aren't meant to be used on self but instead another person-the barber. That said, numerous people have shaven with these works of art successfully so long as right hand was used. At least that's the general consensus seem to be. Only few handful with shave with both sides. That's their own prerogative and if they cut themselves they are only to blame.

I got this from Japan Woodworker. I inquired about the honing progression on these as I didn't know much about them at that point. I asked to be transferred to someone who knew and I got someone who claims that there is no apprentice and also assert they do nothing more than sell razor as they acquired it from their contact in Japan. No honing or stropping of any sort is done.

For me the ostentatious scale, file work, extravagant jimps, crazy inlayed tangs or size of razor is nice but not entirely necessary. It adds aesthetic values but functionality is my preference in general. I find that simplicity is best represented with Iwasaki size 1 ( size 2 meant for heavier set beards and 2x price of size1 ). Where the function of razor supersedes fashion.

In spite of the few razors I have, this maybe too presumptuous but Iwasaki is indeed an impressive razor compared to my shaving arsenal. This along with the Livi Japanese inspired razor are ones I've been using of late.

Craftsmanship:
Japanese culture value asymmetry and refer to it as Wabi-sabi.
Front and back of razor are blackened to help reduce rust ( does not prevent ). The tear-dropped shaped notch is very nice. Towards the point of the blade there's a mini-notch. Nicely done.

Balance:
excellent as it is very light in comparison to other razors. Total control of the razor. You are essentially "one" with the razor. I know it sounds cheesy but that's how I feel. There's a saying "Jinba-ittai" rider and horse are one. From shaving standpoint, the Iwasaki exemplifies this saying. Granted it's only designed for someone else to shave you with but with preparation and respect of razor, you will find this will give you one of the best shaves second to none.

Collectability:
If you love razors in general or would simply like to try something out of the norm, this would be great addition to your shaving arsenal.
Mizuouchi Ryuichi is the bladesmith and apprentice of Iwasaki Shigeyoshi ( son of legendary Kousuke ). More information can be found on JimR's site

For such an exquisite shave with simple yet functional design-it definitely is worth the price. Sure as hell didn't regret it.
Liked it so much I went and picked one up from Jim.

Jim was not only pleasant to deal with but also very informative. Shipped fast. Took utmost care in packaging of razor. We've all come to know and hate the abused/neglected packages from delivery drivers as most look to have been coming in as if it's been claymored.

To date, unfortunately Jim no longer sells these. However, Jim still sells Kanayama strops and these would compliment the kamisori very nicely. Been meaning to pick one up for some time now. Hopefully in future.

Overall:
One can take my review with grain of salt as I've only been shaving few months. Still there isn't a shadow of doubt as to quality work of Iwasaki. Mizuouchi is to be commended for his impeccable artistic abilities. One might say it's naive to say so seeing as how I don't have the original Iwasaki. Even so, it doesn't matter at this point as this far exceeded my expectations! Highly recommended.

Livi ATS34

Craftsmanship:
It is packaged in nice box with soft red padding.
The inscription on omote says Made in Italy and on ura Mastro Livi.
The spine work is very impressive. On the omote it stretches nearly at the end whereas the ura, it stops short. The bottom handle section is worked as well. The end of handle there's
1 1/2" or so gold wash. Nice touch.

Balance:
Like the Iwasaki it's nice and light. No trouble spot with any section.

Collectability:
Livi's family has an impressive history and he lives up to the family name. This razor exudes class and prestige to say the least.

Overall:
I was curious to see how close this would be to Iwasaki. I wasn't disappointed until after the initial shave that is.
While the Iwasaki is canted more providing closer shave, this fell short. Test shaved the edge at the point was tugging a little, but not too bothersome. Still not ideal considering its exorbitant price. In spite of my reserved expectations it failed miserably. I knew from the get go if you want a true kamisori, go straight to the source and not some middleman vendor out to make a buck.

Update
To date I no longer have the Livi.

Takahashi Norikazu's Kanetake

Craftsmanship:
Comes in nice box. It's rougher than the former aesthetic-wise as handle edges aren't rounded off. It doesn't bother me whatsoever. If Norikazu was going for rustic look he has indeed achieved it and then some. The notch ( not a thumbnotch ) is blackened, unlike Iwasaki it is brush clear. Towards the end of my shaving I discovered that the bottom of handle had oxidized. One should be cognizant as stated earlier the blackened sections help preserve the steel. Not to be misconstrued as rust inhibitor or preventive measure.

Balance:
This has nice heft to it. It's still light. Possibly one of the lightest razor in my arsenal thus far. Had no trouble with any section. If any my shaving time was cut.

Collectability:
These aren't mass produced and only made per order.

Overall:
Norikazu is to be commended with his artistic ability. He's only been making razors for 5 years and he's produced a superiour shaver-force to be reckoned with in razor community.

I look forward to my next session.

Cross-section:
Iwasaki & Kanetake

Livi & Kanetake

Livi & Iwasaki

Bottom handle ( top to bottom: Norikazu, Livi, Iwasaki )

Spine ( top to bottom: Norikazu, Livi, Iwasaki )

How did it compare to the Iwasaki(s)?
Absolutely stunning! The fit and finish is similar but it's indeed on the rough side as far as handling is concerned though it doesn't bother me.

Was your shave comfortable? How about close? Your opinion is that after a good-significant stropping is enough?

The shave was comfortable it's so close to the Iwasaki it's not noticeable. As it stands I shaved with Iwasaki 13 times now 30 on latigo before and after the shave. No other linen whatsoever. I have as of late been using veg-tan leather but for purpose of the test I didn't use it upon shaving when comparing the 3.

Next time what Ill do is shave one side with one razor and one with another as opposed to alternating which I did initially. Perhaps I shall employ the "long pass" which seems to be the general method around here.

With regards to stropping, I remember distinctly the Livi didn't shave as comfortably as I'd hoped initially. It was only after good stropping did it shave nicely. Not as close as the Iwasaki but it's up there.

The Iwasaki I acquired from Jim is no different from my first Iwasaki. It's equivalent to surgeon's tool. Precision-style cutting. Hands down the best in comparison to razors in my arsenal. I'm not saying this because I've fascination for Japanese related contraptions from vehicles to electronics etc...

That said my preliminary assessment shaving-wise would be:
Iwasaki ~ Kanetake > Livi

The reason I rated the way I did above was due to remote closeness of shaving between Iwasaki and Kanetake. Whether or not you have a Japanese razor (kamisori), Norikazu's Kanetake is no joke. It is a razor to be reckoned with.

For those reading this, don't misunderstand. I love all my razors and wouldn't give any up. It goes without saying, Livi's razor is nice and from aesthetic standpoint one can say it blows both Japanese razors. But this is subjective as others prefer more extravagant look while others prefer the simpler look. The latter is my preference in general. I've always been the function over fashion type of guy. But this didn't stop me from getting rather ornate piece such as Livi's. Having said that, it was a costly mistake I'll never make again thanks to it's vendor/honer.

Iwasaki translation

Major credit to JimR for translating these:

4 black kanji preceded by 3 red kanjiーーThis is "Iwasaki's Japanese Razor" (you should remember these Kanji...they are important).

Small black "Main/Root Blade Village" and red kanji in middle I can't make these out, a little too blurry.

Last 5 kanji This is "Sanjikajikobou", The name of Iwasaki's forge.

th_SPM_A0044.jpg

Closeup This is going to take me a while...

Brown wrapping paper--This is an anti oxidation wrapper, standard to lots of blades. If you need a translation, I can get one, but it's nothing interesting.

3 kanji stamp ( presumption is Iwasaki on one of them? ) The first symbol, the circle with three lines, is his forge's trademark--the three lines is "san", like in Sanjikajikobo. The last two are Iwasaki, his name.

th_SPM_A0065.jpg

Kanji on side box That is the personal stamp of Iwasaki. In Japan, people don't sign their names, they have official stamps with their names, so it's like a signature.

th_SPM_A0073.jpg

Here's the close-up with red kanji in middle

th_SPM_A0108.jpg

OK, that means "fully inspected."

Here's the one with 4 kanji on box and 2 kanji followed by red stamp

th_SPM_A0055.jpg

No one in my family seems to know the first one, but the next three are "Japanese Razor".
The two at the bottom are "Iwasaki", and the stamp is the official forge stamp, I think. It's hard to see.

Follow up
That first kanji is an honorific, "o". It's apparently pretty unusual to see the kanji, which is why it was hard to find.

I have nothing constructive to say, I just wanted to say how awesome your razors look on the SOTD thread that I felt compelled to do a search, and found these posts. Great stuff.

Iwasaki 50mm
Blade size: *22 mm ( 13/16 )
Blade length: *50 mm
Spine width: 5 mm
Total length: *164 mm

Takahashi Norikazu
Blade size: 19mm ( shy of 6/8 )
Blade length: 45 mm
Spine width: 4 mm
Total length 150 mm

Livi
Blade size: *21 mm
Blade length: *51 mm
Spine width: *5 mm
Total length: *163 mm

mugs said:
I have nothing constructive to say, I just wanted to say how awesome your razors look on the SOTD thread that I felt compelled to do a search, and found these posts. Great stuff.

N_Architect said:
Very nice work Ivan, concise info.

Thank you for sharing.

Thank you gentlemen!
drinks.gif

Back
Top Bottom