It's time for me to start!

After much consideration I believe it's time for me to grow a pair and start using a cut throat razor.
After reading so many post on this forum I now have at least a rudimentary knowledge of what I'm getting into...although I could still use a little advice.
I reckon I could handle the stropping and I will leave the honing to a professional, so my question is...where can I order a decent (shave ready) razor and strop for around $75 to $100, I just would hate to spend a lot of wampum and find out I don't like using a cut throat or worse I actually kill myself with the damn thing.
So any info would be appreciated.

Rob1971 said:
After much consideration I believe it's time for me to grow a pair and start using a cut throat razor.
After reading so many post on this forum I now have at least a rudimentary knowledge of what I'm getting into...although I could still use a little advice.
I reckon I could handle the stropping and I will leave the honing to a professional, so my question is...where can I order a decent (shave ready) razor and strop for around $75 to $100, I just would hate to spend a lot of wampum and find out I don't like using a cut throat or worse I actually kill myself with the damn thing.
So any info would be appreciated.
Speak to Neil Miller, he's your man, and will most likely get you a kit together for less than $100.
His website: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://www.strop-shop.co.uk/</a><!-- m --> or send him a PM.

Max

Good luck, man ... Many don´t make it you know, terrible mess ... bloody too.

:lol: Seriously, good luck! Max´s right, contact Neil Miller at the stropshop, he´ll sort you out.

Rob1971 said:
Neil is definitely the first man to occur to me, but where are you? If those $ signs mean you're in North America, there may be easier options.
Yes...I'm in the states, Illinois to be exact.

I really recommend Neil, but if you want a "local" man, Larry at whipped dog in Texas is a splendied guy and he can also set you up with some affortable opptions (say hi from me, if you choose to go with him).

Another big plus one for Larry. His strop kit with the pastes should keep the razor going for long time too.

If you take to it I'm sure you'll want to upgrade to something prettier, like Neil's work.

If he lives in the USA..it wont help him..he stated USD pricing..try ebay n get a nice razor to fix up a little or always straightrazorplace.com which is in Ohio

B

I wouldn´t recomend a newbie to Ebay, you don´t know what you get there and you need some experience to avoid the duds, I think. What was wrong with Larry in Texas, if he didn´t want to buy from overseas?

Blades said:
If he lives in the USA..it wont help him..he stated USD pricing..try ebay n get a nice razor to fix up a little or always straightrazorplace.com which is in Ohio

B

Larry's in the US and at $33 per shave ready razor and $19 for a strop kit comes in well below budget. Ebay can be quite a gamble, at least with Larry you know you will get a great shaving edge.

Some people, mentioning no names, Max, seem to do very well indeed with ebay ;) But it's definitely not a good option for a first razor because you'll need the services of a honer at the very least.

The safest bet I know of is a refurbished vintage razor from Neil, and I'd also put a word in for Trey Dampier except that he seems to have dropped off the map (Trey: if you're out there, prove me wrong, please). I needed a straight for a Christmas present in a hurry, and Neil saved the day with a Kropp 'n' a strop, which ought to be the perfect way to get off to a good start. Neil's edges are very consistent too, which provides a reference point if you're daft committed enough to get into honing.

Other than Trey I can't personally recommend anybody stateside, but if memory serves, blades from Straight Razor Designs come sharpened by Lynn Abrams - they're going to be good.

Some people are sniffy about new razors. There's a fair measure of truth in this, and I personally believe that a very good blade from the 20'sor 30's will knock any new one into the weeds. That's not to say that an entry level Dovo, Revisor or TI won't serve you well though. You'll be guaranteed to be starting off at full width, the steel will be consistent, and a competent honer will be able to set a serviceable edge with minimal trouble. With care, such a razor should last a lifetime and beyond, so it's worth keeping that option in mind. Don't, however, be tempted by excessively cheap products - some alleged "razors" are incapable of taking, far less holding, a worthwhile edge, and they're easily identified by a too good to be true price tag.

The main thing is to acquire one good razor, which is properly sharp, and to use it every time you shave. If it works out, and there's no reason to suppose that it won't, the infamous RAD will kick in and one day you'll turn round and find that you have a rather a lot of nice blades hanging around, and won't want to part with any of them.

All the above is my personal experience, especially the last sentence. Lasciate ogne speranza, voi ch'intrate.

I had a complete disaster with my first razor, bought blind so to speak and was ready for throwing the towel in.

then I went to Neil miller and got a sweet little blade which was well in your price range, he has been doing a line of cheaper first razors recently to.

I did, however, spend a little more on a decent strop from dovo which is XL as it makes stropping that little easier and straight forward.

Good luck big man

All the best.

As Andy said, I've been lucky with ebay (DE & straight wise), I like taking gambles on there, it's part of the fun :p
But my first straight was one that I got off Mikael, and was honed by Neil.
I now know what I like, and what I don't like, making the gambles less risky, but that's not to say I've never bought a dud.

I'd buy one good one, and go on from there. (I've now got about 10 Shave Ready ones)
Getting one restored can actually cost more than buying one from Neil.

Max

I would like to thank everyone here for their advice...it is very appreciated!

I have just communicated with Neil and he is going to see what he could come up with.
I am very confident that he will hook me up with what I need!
Judging by his reputation and following...I suspect he is a gentleman and a class act.

Back
Top Bottom