It's arrived...!

moodymick said:
welcome. my first DE shave was with a 38C and ToBS Sandalwood soap. although i did not have trouble lathering i still do not over rate the scent - not strong enough for me. i do highly rate the 38C and the 34C. As for blades i have worked my way through a few brands (derby, personna, treet, crystals and currently with iridium), still not sure what i will be bulk buying - but probably crystals.

thing is mate you just have to stick with it - to reap the benefits.

agree re the scent, the other half isn't convinced either - says it reminds her of grandad :?
will definitely stick with it, looking forward to tomorrow morning's session.
v tempted to try a derby...

i didn't have time for round 2 this morning :cry:
but will be attacking it tonight :twisted:
derby blade in position - tested that on back of hand & i think my merkur blade was faulty, as very dull in comparison...
(i also found a nice little china bowl!)

Nice looking set up mate. As others have mentioned and i think you said you were planning on doing, get a sampler pack of blades - Connaught do some really comprehensive samplers. That way you can find which blade works for you.

Lather wise, practise is all it takes. When i get a new soap/cream, i go straight to the bathroom and practise lathering with it - this saves time for me when i actually need to shave :D (To be honest, i also do this when i get a new brush too - different products require slightly different amounts of water etc etc - Plus it gives you the excuse to have fun lathering).

You mentioned using the wooden soap bowl to lather - if you don't face lather (I don't) i reccomend grabbing a mug of some sort. Load up the brush by swirling on the soap, then move to the mug, adding single drops of water at a time until you get the lather you like.

It gets easier, and much more addictive as you go on - very enjoyable too ;)

AJP said:
Nice looking set up mate. As others have mentioned and i think you said you were planning on doing, get a sampler pack of blades - Connaught do some really comprehensive samplers. That way you can find which blade works for you.

Lather wise, practise is all it takes. When i get a new soap/cream, i go straight to the bathroom and practise lathering with it - this saves time for me when i actually need to shave :D (To be honest, i also do this when i get a new brush too - different products require slightly different amounts of water etc etc - Plus it gives you the excuse to have fun lathering).

You mentioned using the wooden soap bowl to lather - if you don't face lather (I don't) i reccomend grabbing a mug of some sort. Load up the brush by swirling on the soap, then move to the mug, adding single drops of water at a time until you get the lather you like.

It gets easier, and much more addictive as you go on - very enjoyable too ;)

Lathering is definitely the main challenge at the mo - will give your recommendation a try (along with a few other tips the kind chaps here have put forward). Cheers.

evening gents,

braved my 2nd DE shave...

merkur 38c
derby extra
TOBS sandalwood soap
best badger brush (came with the soap so unsure of brand)
clinique post shave healer (lots)
clinique post shave soother (lots more)

two words... red raw :oops:

however, it was the closest shave i've ever had, the derby blade did a better job than the merkur.

my lathering was the weak link (too thin & wet), i should have spent longer and been a bit more patient - lesson learnt!

not enjoying the feeling of the brush but it's only day 2.

have a good evening all.

jim

slim-shad-y said:
TOBS sandalwood soap

my lathering was the weak link (too thin & wet), i should have spent longer and been a bit more patient - lesson learnt!

Hi Jim

Suggestion for next time, try some Palmolive cream, about £1+something a tube from most supermarkets.

Pete

Jim,

Don't worry about the red-raw shave; it happens! I did it myself on my 2nd DE shave by trying too hard to get a BBS result (and still do burn myself sometimes trying to clear those awkward patches). One day I'll learn to leave them be if I still want skin left on those areas... :D

There's also the bad habit of using pressure on the razor, which is a hangover from using multiblade razors. I still have to stop myself sometimes after 4 months of DE shaving, as I find myself starting to press the razor into my face rather than letting the weight of it do the job for me.

It's a learning process - you'll get there. Keep up the good work!

Take no notice of this "right on" Merkur blade hating nonsense...decide what suits you not what others feel they need to recommend because they have a view. I think Merkur blades are terrific and can you seriously imagine (from a business aspect) that they would continue to be manufactured and marketed if they were as bad as some people claim?

We all have different faces and different demands; find your optimum gear and enjoy it...

RB73 said:
slim-shad-y said:
RB73 said:
Very nice, what blade came with it.

thanks. came with a single merkur stainless platinum (a few more would have been nice!)

I think this may be too late but, FOR THE LOVE OF GOD DONT USE THAT MERKUR BLADE

lagaffe said:
There's also the bad habit of using pressure on the razor, which is a hangover from using multiblade razors. I still have to stop myself sometimes after 4 months of DE shaving, as I find myself starting to press the razor into my face rather than letting the weight of it do the job for me.

The heavier the razor the easier I find it to not apply pressure. The Futur (120g) is easier than the EJ DE89 (65g) which in turn is better than the Feather Popular (32g

Study the quides Jim. Don't fret about "closeness" at the moment it will come.
I would get yourself a tube of Palmolive, it'll be easier to build than soap.

Good prep
Good Lather
Zero pressure
Consistent and correct razor angle.

Two WTG passes only. Let your chops get used to it.

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.theshavingroom.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=545" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=545</a><!-- l -->

thanks for the additional advice gents - much appreciated.

i'm having a day off it today but will return tomorrow.

my wife grabbed me a palmolive shave stick (she hates the sandalwood scent!) so i'll follow some of the techniques associated with that.

would it be a crime to try my king of shaves oil, and gel for comparison...? :roll:

j

slim-shad-y said:
would it be a crime to try my king of shaves oil, and gel for comparison...? :roll:

j

JMHO but its your face mate, use whatever works for you there should be no such thing as "a crime" when it comes to getting a great shave!

Jeltz said:
lagaffe said:

The heavier the razor the easier I find it to not apply pressure. The Futur (120g) is easier than the EJ DE89 (65g) which in turn is better than the Feather Popular (32g

You're right there. I started off DE shaving in December when I treated myself to a Futur for Xmas. It's a cracking, solid, weighty thing! You forget to give that any pressure as it's already leaning heavily into your physog! :D

I think the lightest razor I have at the mo is my black-handled '68 Superspeed. I almost feel like I'm not holding that one, and applying pressure is hard to resist!

Back
Top Bottom